Round Canteen RIA 1914

Pep

Round canteens are not my area of interest but every once in a while I see one I find interesting.

This one was marked what I think is 122 / C  20 FA / US / U.S.G and dated 1914.

The other thing I found interesting was the loops, they are rectangular and not triangular.

Any info so I can place this correctly in my collection and find a correct hanger for it would be much appreciated.

20210719_120511.jpg.6c28e4d156b292fa1dc30f7025b8e3d1.jpg20210719_120546.jpg.2423eb6b200b5e332a5fa6ce330383ea.jpg

US Victory Museum

Generally speaking, this type of canteen is associated with mounted troops; by this I mean all mounted troops such

as mounted Field Artillery, Orderlies (mounted infantry), etc.   The Cavalry did not adopt the M1910 pattern until just

before The Great War, so they also used this pattern canteen.   The suspension was leather and a large hook was used

to attach it to the saddle equipment.   The mounted canteens of State units usually had the canvas sewn to the reverse

side.  

Msn

20 hours ago, US Victory Museum said:

Generally speaking, this type of canteen is associated with mounted troops; by this I mean all mounted troops such

as mounted Field Artillery, Orderlies (mounted infantry), etc.   The Cavalry did not adopt the M1910 pattern until just

before The Great War, so they also used this pattern canteen.   The suspension was leather and a large hook was used

to attach it to the saddle equipment.   The mounted canteens of State units usually had the canvas sewn to the reverse

side.  

Msn

Thank you for the info and picture of the hanger.

Any idea what model this canteen is?...official model?

Pep

US Victory Museum

While there may exist a drawing designating this style the Model 1909, this canteen pre-existed the model's nomenclature.

USMF Keystone previously posted this image in another topic.   At the top center, once can observe the square tab; the

drawing does not indicate a model designation, but calls it "Cavalry canteen.  Cavalry canteen strap."  In the bottom right

corner it may be observed the drawing is dated 1904.

I went back to look through my photo archive, and it seems that all all the mounted spheroid canteens (that I have photos of)

date from 1910-1915; the later ones using OD canvas, like yours.   The mounted canteens from the photo group have canvas

sewn to the reverse side.    Jon, does your drawing just indicate Model 1909, or does it indicate Model 1909 for Cavalry?

Msn

USMF Keystone.jpg

Marchville1918

I had the impression that the model 1909 canteen was the one where the carrying strap with a hook was sown to the back of the canteen. I don't think it was a cavalry canteen.