Civil War Artillery Shell Jacket?? Opinions Please!

Mike Kasper

Greetings!  Could the forum members please render your opinions on this shell jacket?  I have not seen one that was tailor made with a label!  In this case the tailor was Eddie Rosoff in Philadelphia.  Oddly, the buttons are the plain eagle cuff "Scovills & Co. Extra" as seen on original issued shell jackets.   Thanks in advance!

Artillery1.jpg

Artillery2.jpg

Artillery3.jpg

Artillery4.jpg

Artillery5.jpg

Artillery6.jpg

Artillery7.jpg

Artillery8.jpg

Artillery9.jpg

Artillery10.jpg

iron bender

Weird. It's got all the exterior details but made with newer materials and sewing. The chevrons appear to be original USGI but are from a later period. Reenactor piece from the 60's? Movie prop? 

Mike Kasper

Odd indeed to pay a fine tailor to make a jacket for a movie or re-enactor!  I did find an Eddie Rosoff in a 1950 Philadelphia city directory listed in clothing at 632 South Street.  Oh well, I only paid $35.00 for it!

And it has 1872 style chevrons.   Originals, such as those placed on this repro jacket were available in great quantities for just a few dollars a pair back in the 1960’s/1970’s

I should add those chevrons are currently worth more than the $35 you paid for the jacket   So it was a good buy. 

Could this have been converted from a suit jacket or blazer that was originally made by that tailor?  The exterior pocket on the left chest looks an awful lot like a suit or blazer pocket.