How much would WWII combat boots cost today?

RickB

There's an interesting youtube video, in which a guy, who reviews modern boots, sections a WWII combat boot, and evaluates the type and quality of construction.

Based on '30s-'40s footwear catalogs, the reviewer thinks combat boots cost $4-$8 per pair during the war.

Often, people dismiss the quality of G.I. clothing and equipment, with "low bidder", etc., but the boot reviewer was amazed at the quality, and said the '43 combat boot would cost $300-$400 today.

(16) Are 77 Year Old WW2 Boots BETTER Than Modern Boots? - (CUT IN HALF) - YouTube

Hmmm, can't seem to post the link, but easy to find.

Rose Anvil is always cutting boots up. I clicked on that last week and saw he was gonna do that tho the buckle boots as well. I just couldn't watch.

The boots from the video were technically referenced as Boots, Service, Combat, Composition Sole purchase by the US Government at a flat $7.00 a pair. The easy math with projected inflation rates of the dollar to today ($15.41) that price would be $107.87 for the pair of boots, if made in Taiwan. However, that does not take into account for increased labor rates and material costs if made in USA. Now, if we had a material breakdown from the contractor we could probably come really close to an actual dollar amount in todays cost. His best points come from the end of the video about leather and shoe industry. I bet when he was processing the construction, he was totally thinking labor or shop hourly rate when he hit the 300-400 mark and not so much material costs. Today, a cobblers average hourly wage (top 75%) make around $23 per hour. Average wage in 1944 was $.30 per hour, that equates to $4.49 per hour today. So we can see the extra ordinary jump in labor cost. I suppose we could swing this thing many different ways, but fun to play around with for a minute.