Different looking ordnance bomb cartouche

collector

Many of us here have been looking at stock cartouches for years, and the fakes usually are at least close to originals.

Here is one version that I've never seen before and would tend to think it a fake.

However, I still would like opinions since I don't know it all.  It just looks really weird.

Am NOT buying this, am just curious.

http://www.collectorssource.com/rifles/springfield-1903-rock-island-arsenal.html

springfield_038aa.jpg

Kaptainssurplus

It looks like Canadian or British mark, since collectors source is in Canada, that would make sense. 

WB cartouche on a M1903? Waldemar Broberg was an inspector in the Hartford Ordnance district so seeing his initials on an '03 is a bit of a red flag anyway.

With a Remington '03A3 barrel installed that was turned down to accept a '03 rear sight base, a Remington bolt sleeve and some other things going on, I think those stamps may have originated with someone stamping Winchester shotguns as the Ord wheel looks to be about the size used on the M97 and M12 trench and riot shotguns.

I question the "WW2 Arsenal refurbished" bit in the description too.

As far as I know, WB Waldemar Broberg, never inspected any 1903's. Also, this is a Rock Island 1903. Only Springfield 1903's were marked with the eagle head for one year. Could have a Springfield stock, but that would still not explain the WB marking.

I think it is not correct and has been "embellished".

Good info on the marks, the wheel looks very different. Would expect C-broad arrow on a Canadian used rifle.

Three marks: funny-looking (to me) Ordnance Escutcheon, Eagle Head, WB in box.

I've been calling the Ordnance cartouche a wheel.  I know it's not a wheel, just went crazy for a moment.

I understand now most of you might have thought I thought the eagle was the point of this thread. It's about the Ordnance cartouche.

I've had many US weapons with that cartouche, but that PARTICULAR one looks odd. Shape of the cannons, top flame, like that.

What threw me was the word “bomb” in the title. I thought you were mistaking the eagle head for the Ordnance insignia (flaming bomb). The Ordnance escutcheon is the “wheel” which is actually crossed cannons surrounded by a belt. But the 3 marks on that stock DO seem spurious. 

Figured there was a communication mixup.

Yes, I've had them on Carbines, Garands, a 1911A1 and seen them on '03 arsenal refurbs. That one is funny looking. The bomb reference in my title is to the little flame which seems to be a holdover from the bomb (Army says it really is an iron grenade) and flame. I thought the ball above the two cannon was a cannon ball, but it might be the bomb (iron grenade)

which would have to be lighted (the flame).

Have WB on my '42 Colt, and for some reason it did not occur to me to question the WB on the '03, but I learn something new every day.

https://goordnance.army.mil/history/shell_flame.html