Wooden box question? Ration or possible food relief?

Buckshot329

Buckshot329

As the title says, the question is about this wooden box I recently picked up at a French flea market.

The box is for pure refined lard and was shipped by the P Brennan Company, Chicago 9, Illinois. The thing that caught my eye is the stamp on the bottom Furnished by USA.

Some of the finer print is too faded to read so I don't know whether or not the box is dated. I'm not sure if this is a military box (if posted in the wrong place or not allowed, please move or remove). One thought I have because of the stamp on the bottom is that this is a postwar food relief box. Could that be correct? Is it something else?

Hoping some of the experts can weigh in. Thanks

20210717_104849.jpg.3831f1e103cf9fd40a8d73ef82d56a98.jpg

20210717_104905.jpg.d07d8d4928cc71696816c2acf07e923a.jpg

"Furnished by USA" suggests to me that this was a relief supply, possibly provided under the Marshall Plan.  There would be no need for such markings on military rations.  It's interesting that these were marked that way in English, but the manufacturer probably had no idea which country the carton would end up in.

Buckshot329
4 hours ago, gwb123 said:

"Furnished by USA" suggests to me that this was a relief supply, possibly provided under the Marshall Plan.  There would be no need for such markings on military rations.  It's interesting that these were marked that way in English, but the manufacturer probably had no idea which country the carton would end up in.

That was my thinking as well. However I couldn't find another example of such a mark. Sure is an interesting box