Recent tiger stripe uniform top find with 3rd Force Recon Bn service in Vietnam provenance

Tonomachi

I just received this uniform top which was worn by USMC Gunnery Sergeant William J. Hughes Jr. (1936-2004).  Per his former daughter-in-law he served two tours in Vietnam with the 3rd Force Recon Battalion. 

DSCF1467.JPG

DSCF1471.JPG

DSCF1468.JPG

DSCF1469.JPG

DSCF1470.JPG

I can't address the authenticity of the cammies, but I can correct the unit identification:  It could be 3d Recon Bn or 3d Force Recon Company, but there has never been a 3d Force Recon Bn.  

On 7/22/2021 at 5:28 AM, GUDMAR1975 said:

I can't address the authenticity of the cammies, but I can correct the unit identification:  It could be 3d Recon Bn or 3d Force Recon Company, but there has never been a 3d Force Recon Bn.  

Thanks for the correction as according to the former daughter-in-law he served with both 1 Recon Battalion, 3rd Recon Battalion and 3rd Force Recon Company (see letter from daughter-in-law).   Before I bid on this piece I looked through a book I have on tiger stripe uniforms titled, "Tiger Patterns" by Richard Denis Johnson where I found a match for what he refers to as "Tadpole Dense"   I was informed that this pattern is also referred to as "silver pattern" tiger stripe per an authority on tiger stripe camouflage uniforms.

Here is a photo of and obituary for USMC Gunnery Sergeant William J. Hughes Jr. (1936-2004):

Obituary

William J. Hughes Jr. U.S.M.C. (Ret) of Reading passed away suddenly on Monday April 5, 2004.

Born in Providence, Rhode Island, William was a loving and caring son, husband, father, grandfather and friend. He had a commanding presence about him that will be sorely missed.

William was a decorated United States Marine Corps Veteran, he was a career Marine. William was a past Grand Knight of Reading Council #1031. He was a commander of the D.A.V. Navy Yard Chapter. He was a member of the 1st Marine Division Association. William served on the Board of the L St. Brownies. He participated in the Boy Scouts in Troop # 702. He belonged to the American Red Cross and was a former chairman of the R.M.L.D. and the Reading Recreation Committee. William belonged to the Irish American Club and the Reading Town Meeting. He was a former employee of the Massachusetts Water Resources Authority and a current employee of the Reading Municipal Light Department. During the Vietnam War, William proudly and bravely served two tours. He was an officer of the National Service Office of Military Order of Purple Heart. He was a constable for Middlesex County and a Notary Public.

William was the beloved husband of Judith A. (McIsaac) Hughes. He was the devoted father of William J. Hughes III of Reading, Tracey Ann Hughes of Yuma, Arizona, and the cherished grandfather of Catherine Hughes of Holden, Massachusetts. William was the dear brother of Ann Marie Blackburn and Rosetta DeLuca of Bristol, Rhode Island and the step-son of Hilda Hughes of Bristol, Rhode Island.

Funeral from the Joseph Doherty Funeral Home 11 Linden St. READING Thursday at 8am followed by a Pro Burial Mass celebrated in St. Agnes Church 186 Woburn St. Reading at 9am. Family and friends are kindly invited to attend visiting hours Wednesday 4-8pm. Parking is available in the municipal parking lot located behind Atlantic Supermarket on Haven St. Interment will be in the VA National Cemetery in Bourne, Massachusetts.

Donations in memory of William may be made to N.E. Shelter for Homeless Veterans 17 Court St. Boston, MA 02108 or the Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation.

473e8104aaf84aaeb9e596b0ea58ddf9.jpg

DSCF1473.JPG