Question about dog tag silencer use.

Boy Howdy

I know there are a few different types of silencers that have been used over the years but every pair of dog tags I find for sale don't have any silencers on the tags.

My question to you veterans is did you use the silencers or not or did they come off after being discharged?

Thank you all for your (hopefully) input.

They're not meant to last...they tend to dry rot and snap overtime, often leaving a crud on the rim of the tags similar to when you remove electrical tape that's been wrapped around something and exposed to heat too long.

That said, some guys just slap their tags together and wrap them in electrical tape.

Silencers have also fallen out of use in recent years, at least in the infantry, as we're directed to wear one tag in our boot and one around the neck. Since separating them, they have nothing the clank against

Brig is 100% correct. I have nothing to add,  I just thought you might like to see this WWII Navy field made dogtags silencer that has survived.  I believe the rubber is a cut up piece of a gas mask hose.  Not sure if it’s from a Japanese or US mask.

AB26D72E-7D46-4C38-B750-46604CE88E64.jpeg

I have spoken to several WWI vets that said they used cut-up gas mask hose for dog tag silencers.  Others just wrapped them in friction tape as Brig mentioned.

Boy Howdy- These are the ID tag covers I used. There is information that is highlighted on each side, that has some kind of medical use. But it was never explained to us. I retired from the army 30 years ago, and the covers are still nice and pliable. SKIP

20210716_220710.jpg

T Ambrosini

Skip,

Interesting dog tag covers.  Both sides are meant for information regarding glasses and frames prescriptions.  For instance, PD is "pupillary distance", temple distance measurement, prescription date, etc.

Tom

T Ambrosini- Thank you! You just solved a close to 50 year mystery for me. Now it makes sense. SKIP

Real question is why one would need prescription info on their tags...I can understand the contact lens question, in case they were hit in an NBC attack while wearing them, they'd have to be removed to prevent fusion...but the rest I don't know

21 hours ago, Old Marine said:

Brig is 100% correct. I have nothing to add,  I just thought you might like to see this WWII Navy field made dogtags silencer that has survived.  I believe the rubber is a cut up piece of a gas mask hose.  Not sure if it’s from a Japanese or US mask.

AB26D72E-7D46-4C38-B750-46604CE88E64.jpeg

I've got a set from a KW veteran that has cut up gas mask hose used as silencers....They're black, so I believe it's from a US gas mask....Came along with a P38 can opener...Bodes

T Ambrosini
31 minutes ago, Brig said:

Real question is why one would need prescription info on their tags...I can understand the contact lens question, in case they were hit in an NBC attack while wearing them, they'd have to be removed to prevent fusion...but the rest I don't know

Hi Brig,

I responded to Skip by private message to not steer the OP's thread in an odd direction.  The message addresses your question, hope it helps clear up the tag cover's utility...  It follows:

"Once upon a time, I was an Independent Duty Med Tech (IDMT) while in the USAF and ordered many pairs of glasses for people.  As mentioned, the info on the tag cover has spaces for eyeglass and frame data for an individual.  The data is for both the black framed "BCGs" (Birth Control Glasses, as they were known when worn by females) and the gas mask insert eyeglasses.  I suppose having that data in a location that was supposed to always be with the individual, hanging around his or her neck, there would never be an issue getting glasses replaced promptly if need be.  In absence of this data, a medic would need to have access to the individual's medical record or, worst case, need to arrange a formal eye exam (difficult to do if the individual is in theater and far from an optometrist).  Ordering replacement glasses was easy if the data was readily available.  I have never seen tag covers like yours, but what a great idea!"

Tom

20 years ago, I found boxes of these at the flea market. I had hundreds of them.  No one wanted them or knew what they were.  

3D7DA8ED-6DFC-4D5E-A944-00D2DD134BE5.jpeg

T Ambrosini
22 minutes ago, Boy Howdy said:

A must have fashion accessory for your BCG's!

HA!  When you are right, you are RIGHT!  😅

29 minutes ago, Old Marine said:

20 years ago, I found boxes of these at the flea market. I had hundreds of them.  No one wanted them or knew what they were.  

3D7DA8ED-6DFC-4D5E-A944-00D2DD134BE5.jpeg

I think they sell for about $4 each on eBay.

• 1 month later...

I wore the black rubber rim silencers on my tags in the late 80's for a couple years. As others have mentioned...they start to dry rot after being exposed to the sweat, dirt, grime and heat. The black rubber would wear off and I would end up with a black streak in the middle of my chest.