Webgear Set

Lucky 7th Armored

Lucky 7th Armored

With my '44 e-tool arriving in the mail two days ago, i am nearing completion for my webgear set.

Thought i would share!

My set has the following:

1.Mess Kit dated 1944

2.Holster dated 1943 mfg by Graton and Knight Co.

3.M-43 pouch dated 42, w/ the carlisle tin

4.Canteen Cover, dated 1942, mfg by foley mfg co.

5.Canteen dated 1945

6.Mess kit cup, dated 1944

7.1911 magazine pouch, dated 1942

8. M1garand bayo dated 1942 by AFH and shortened by UFH

9.M1936 pistol belt no date

10.Shovel, dated 1944 mfg by WOOD, Cover dated 1945 by L.Dumas Mfg. Co.

11. M1928 Haversack dated 1942, by ?Bake(r?) Luckwood Mfg. Co. Inc.?

I would appreciate if anyone could tell me what other components i need to complete this webgear set.

Thanks & Enjoy,

Haydn

post-5136-1233959462.jpg

Lucky 7th Armored

everything open and out

post-5136-1233960124.jpg

Things i know i need:

1.Colt 1911 magazines

2.Colt 1911, LOL not happening for a while, unless i get a cheap replica...

3.Mess kit silverware.

4.Ammo pouches for whatever gun i decide.(leaning towards m1-carbine..)

Anything i am missing please let me know!

Hi Haydn,

Looks good! You may want to add 2 or 3 carbine ammo pouches though, or get a rifle ammo belt instead of the pistol belt.

Greetz ;)

David

Lucky 7th Armored

Thanks David.

I was thinking about an ammo belt, just need to save up for one.

The ammo belt though, can the 1911 magazine pouch me buttoned onto there?

Thanks,

Haydn

Lucky 7th Armored

Thanks Hawkdriver for the input, but i have seen some WWII pics with m1928s and m43 shovels and I have seen a lot of WWII reenactors have m1928's and m-43s and usually reenactors have what the G.I.s would have, and i was considering the t-handle but the e-tool was cheaper.

Here's a pic of a reenactor with such a setup

post-5136-1233963903.jpg

just my 2 cents but i always like to ad a fixed blade. soldiers carried a bayo and a fixed blade alot of the time... i have even seen pictures of soldiers with a bayo and two fixed blades. hope this helps. oh and you could always get a musette bag and strap since you have an officers get up going.

Lucky 7th Armored

Thanks gunner, i am trying to save up for a lot of things, and that is one thing i did forget about. Would an m3 trench knife be appropriate? And i actually do have a musette bag that is named and dated, the only downside is that there are a few tears in the bag, and it is really stiff. I have been told by a forum member that it is stiff because it was made with rubber under the khaki of some sort? Is that correct? I will put pictures up right away of the musette bag. Also what indications tell you that i have an officer's setup going?

Edit: What strap do you mean?

Thanks in advance,

Haydn

Lucky 7th Armored

Ok here is my Musette bag.

There is nothing inside of it and it retains its shape.

post-5136-1233968905.jpg

Back of it, you can see some tears.

post-5136-1233968972.jpg

i say the hole are awesome! no problems there! i love salty stuff cause it was used and has history. idc if it is mint unused... that like just buying something cause it was made a certain year... i dont get it? but the strap you can find here in the for sale section or ebay the rape site... for pretty cheap its a strap that connects to the hooks and acts as a shoulder strap... like the picture of your re enactor he had it over his shoulder... and an m3 would work... if you have 300 to 3000 dollars... haha i used an RH PAL 36 ... very common and well priced. 20-70 depending on quality and there are a bunch of other options... like the 225Q, a KABAR not marked USMC... idk theres a bunch of other options.

Lucky 7th Armored

Thanks, and i think i will follow your route! Need to get the shoulder straps and a fixed blade. Didnt know m3's where that much!

And i actually do have a musette bag that is named and dated, the only downside is that there are a few tears in the bag, and it is really stiff. I have been told by a forum member that it is stiff because it was made with rubber under the khaki of some sort? Is that correct? I will put pictures up right away of the musette bag.

The reason your bag is stiff is probably because it was soaked in something making it stiff. From your pictures, there are a lot of staining on it. Probably part of the reason the material is tearing. You could try washing it, but possibly could do more damage.

Lucky 7th Armored
The reason your bag is stiff is probably because it was soaked in something making it stiff. From your pictures, there are a lot of staining on it. Probably part of the reason the material is tearing. You could try washing it, but possibly could do more damage.

I see, maybe the salty waters from the normandy beaches? :P

So should i just get another musette bag you think? or use the one i have, and leave it alone.

Also where would the e-tool go with the musette bag? on the belt?

Usually the Mussett bag was worn as a pack with a set of M-936 suspenders and the E-tool would have been worn on the belt. As for getting another one, that is up to you. I think you could wash it in Woolite and it wouldn't be in any worse condition than it already is. It's all up to you depending on how much money you are made of.

no no, keep the haversack with the e tool attached like you have it, just get the strap for the musette bag for the shoulder... look at your picture of your reinactor notice he has the same set up as you with a musette bag around his shoulder, or its some other pouch cant tell... do that

Lucky 7th Armored

Trust me this web gear took forever to assemble and mostly from my dad's pocket. As i am only 15, i am not made of money, but hopefully i will get a summer job.

I see what you mean now gunner, but what would be in that musette bag, if he already had the haversack? War souvenirs?lol and was the RH 36 PAL used in the ETO?

The bag the fellow in the pic has over his shoulder is a gasmask bag, really useful and I think more comfortable than the muesette bag with the strap.

Are the rear straps missing from your haversack, Buff?

You could put a pickmattock or handaxe in place of your M43 E-tool, not too many folks with those, and most appropriate if you are part of an MG crew think.gif

Corpl. Cleaver

Hey Buff,

Nice start, but just a heads up, your suspenders are attached wrong. The inner straps shpuld be attached to the 2 small "D rings" at the bottom of the haversack. And the strap(s) on the back should be attached to the belt.

Tyler

Lucky 7th Armored

Tyler, thanks a bunch, i kinda just guessed how they would be attached, and when i tried it on it didnt feel right at all. Going to fix them now!

hotlead, no they are not missing, just wasnt quite sure what to do with them, and thanks for clearing up the gasmask bag from the musette.