H&R Reising Model 65 (slightly modified)

jeed

Has anyone seen another one like this???

I got this through an auction house, there was NO information with it and no one to contact for information.

Whoever did the work on this did an amazing job, everything looks factory made & fitted. You can tell It has been reblued.

The two factory magazines welded together is the most crude part of it but still very well done - and it works!

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

fullsizeoutput_d81.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_d82.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_d83.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_d84.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_d86.jpeg

Charlie Flick

Jeed:

That is indeed an interesting version of the M65.  A couple of things stand out to me.  If it is an original M65 barrel the barrel has been shortened and cooling fins added.  It has also had an H&R Reising M50 6-slot muzzle compensator added to it.  I would think that the muzzle compensator would be completely unnecessary given that the M65 shoots .22 LR ammunition and does so semi-automatically, not full auto as is the M50.  Muzzle rise is not an issue and never has been on my own M65.

Fortunately, the guy who literally wrote the book on the Reising guns, Dave Albert, is an esteemed member of our forum.  I am sure that he will be able to offer you his comments soon.

Are the receiver markings on your rifle the standard M65 markings?  What is the serial number?

Thanks for the post.

Charlie

Charlie and jeed,

In my opinion, this Model 65 is a very nice basement gunsmith project.  

• It appears to have a shortened, original barrel
  • The rifle has been reblued
  • The markings are standard H&R Reising Model 65
  • The cooling fins were cut into the original barrel, and are dissimilar to Reising Model 50, 55, or 60 barrels
  • The compensator is homemade - It mimics the Model 50 comp, but is shorter, and proportioned differently, probably for cosmetic reasons - A standard Model 50 comp has about another inch + to the rear of the 4 shorter compensator slots, in front of the sight
  • The magazines are welded together, and while very uncommon, there are some existing similar examples - I believe this one was done by the same gunsmith, based on the finish appearing the same as the rifle's reblued finish
  • It has a reproduction Reising sling
  • This is not a T-30 experimental rifle

I think someone sent me a link to a photo of this Model 65 in the past, but I do not seem to have the serial number recorded.

All in all, it's a novelty rifle into which someone invested some elbow grease.  I would assume it's still a semi-auto rifle, as originally manufactured.

The book is still in the works.  It's 265 pages long currently, but not yet finished.  Hopefully soon.

Thanks!

David Albert

Thanks Charlie & Dave.

Serial number is 9918.

I have to agree that it was someone’s project, I wonder if they did any others and hoped someone had seen another. I wasn’t sure if it is an original barrel on not, I can’t find any markings anywhere. The compensator is just for looks, it isn’t even cut through the barrel. It is, of course, semiauto only.

Thanks again!