USMC Mess Dress Uniform My keeper but need help

suwanneetrader

suwanneetrader

I finally got LT Col Miller 1958-1978,  daughter to sell me her Dad's beautiful Mess Dress Uniform (I previously sold Art shells etc that were in his estate on Forum FS) but she kept the Miniature Medals off of it. (See photo).  The uniform company label in jacket and pants says Maj J E Miller 10-1967. This would make it during his VN 11th & 12th Marines Artillery  Service, but the embroidery shoulder insignia is for a LT Col. his rank in Pentagon and retirement.  I wonder if a member with access to USMC rolls or other records during 1958 - 78 would be so kind as to send them to me?  Also who would be a good person to reconstruct the miniatures so I could restore to this uniform as he wore it? (See photo of original).    I'm keeping this in my collection.  Thanks in advance   Richard the old retired guy in FL.

P1010002.JPG

P1010003.JPG

P1010006.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010009.JPG

P1010007.JPG

P1010008.JPG

suwanneetrader

More info maybe someone will help:  

First Name was Joe  Still common I know.  ID # starts with  23350, He was Exec Officer for 3rd Div 2nd Batl 12th Marines VN 9 Oct 69 - 2 Jan 70 and S3 1st Div 4th Btl 11th Marines Mar 70 - Aug 1970. Played basketball at W Vir College and after Marine Corps was Comm of DMV in WV for 12 years under two Govs.   He was a Maj in VN and a Lt Col Pentagon and at retirement 1978.  All I have  Richard

Richard-

The easiest thing to do for the miniatures would be to acquire vintage NOS ones and mount them yourself. They're relatively easy to mount...remove the brass back on them, iron out the ribbon so it's flat, then glue them to a piece of cardstock. Once complete, you can glue or epoxy a two or three place bare ribbon bar on the reverse to attach it to the uniform. The most difficult part of this is collecting the NOS award examples. If you want new ones, that's quite a bit easier. 

Dave

suwanneetrader

Thanks Dave Would the NOS be appropriate if the original medals were put together same time as uniform 1967?  Would present day look the same?  Richard

5 minutes ago, suwanneetrader said:

Thanks Dave Would the NOS be appropriate if the original medals were put together same time as uniform 1967?  Would present day look the same?  Richard

No, the originals are going to have a gloss coating to them and, in particular, the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry would look totally different if you used a current production one. 

suwanneetrader

I looked closer and can see where Major insignia was removed and the Lt Col sewn on.  Richard 

Richard… nice mess dress!

I think these here are newer miniatures.. you can see some gloss to the coating.  

You are welcome to them if you’d like.

545595CD-CE6F-479C-80A6-F7B4848204F9.jpeg

Hi Richard,

There are no published USMC muster rolls after October 1958.  I think the best records you’ll get is by requesting his records from St. Louis under the Freedom of Information Act and see what they will send you.  You’ll need this information when you fill out an SF-180:

Name: Joe Emil Miller

Service Number:  076312

DOB: 22 Nov 1935 in Orlando, Gilmer County, WV

DOD:  

Date Joined or PEBD: 22 Aug 1957

Date Retired:  

SSN You already have his SSN from the card in his hat

Commissioned 2ndLt:  30 Jun 1958

1stLt:  30 Dec 1959

I would put together his miniature medals with present day medals.  For display purposes they would look great.

Semper Fi,

Bruce

suwanneetrader

No One contacted me with above for sale so I ordered from USAMM on line and I will try and mount myself (with Dave's instructions) thanks for those who gave me input and especially "digi-shots" free Medals.  Richard 

suwanneetrader

If all goes to plan I'm going to mount the Medals tomorrow.  Dave was right the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry it has about the ugliest metal I've ever seen.  It is a reddish - pink, It is non-magnetic so I think it is brass.  I'll try to tone it down some.  The other Medals the lady picked out for me have a very nice non shinny appearance.   Richard

suwanneetrader

I did as Dave said.  I removed the metal clutchback mountings from 5 of the Medals and the pin back from the BS. I cut and ironed the ribbons so they were flat and hung the same approx 2 1/4 inch. and then inside of the fold I made at the top of the ribbon I glued poster board with double side glue tape.  Then I glued a brass clutchback bar over it.  Then even tho all was glued down good I added duct tape (his originals had a tape also it was a dark brown but mine is gray).  

The hardest part was inserting the stars and v's thru the ribbons so they laid flat, in the center and in an up position.  The prongs (I even shortened them) wanted to stick back thru the ribbon or not lay flat and with the top of v up.  I guess that is why USAMM cuts the prongs off and superglues the stars, v's and palms to ribbons on racks they make.  I did not want to do that as Miller's originals had the prongs. 

Here are pics of my finished product, I hope not too bad for my first time.  Richard 

P1010002.JPG

Miller Replaced Medals $45.00 + 3 NC.JPG

Miller Replaced Medals back glued and taped  $45.00 + 3 NC (2).JPG

Miller Replaced Mini Medals $45.00 + 3 NC.JPG