Not C9 canopy? Metal rings at base of canopy

phantomfixer

phantomfixer

Looks likea typical C9 canopy, but has metal rings at the base of the canopy where the shroud lines connent, and has a phenolic pin on panel 7...also has od webbing going around the canopy, laterally....near the top...what is the canopy?

20210714_205952.jpg

20210714_210520.jpg

20210714_205812.jpg

Just a guess, but I am thinking an ACES II canopy. The rings are for a reefing line and the metal cylinder in post 2 would be the mount for the reefing line cutter.  See if the canopy in this picture is like yours.  This is an internet picture from the Air Force with the caption: Mark Richey works on an F-15 ACES II parachute in the shop. U. S. Air Force photo by Sue Sapp

1050663675_ACESII.jpg.7c83f4d58d891f4b8e6c80218ae4e7c7.jpg

That's exactly what it is. I packed a few of these at NAS Oceana back in 93-94. VFC-12 had a few F-16s that they used for adversary aircraft. 

Do the risers that have the roller yokes and where the canopy quick release fittings (Koch or Frost type) attach directly to the connector links on those chutes or is there some kind of extension between em?

Yes, the risers attach to the connector links shown in the above picture.  The Air Force would then put a red rubber safety cover over the end of the link that comes off.  I have never seen a two piece riser or an extension.

10 hours ago, RWW said:

Yes, the risers attach to the connector links shown in the above picture.  The Air Force would then put a red rubber safety cover over the end of the link that comes off.  I have never seen a two piece riser or an extension.

Thanks wasn't sure, I have a NOS pair of ACES risers and they seemed sorta short and Ive seen some risers, I think for the J5D seat labeled as Riser Extensions.    Phantom I might be interested in that canopy.  Bob you have any spare rubber link covers?  I know my BA-22 had those on the riser links too.  Seems only the AF uses those.

• 3 weeks later...

Do they just randomly use which ever 550 they have for the suspension lines?  Used to think the white ones were on older chutes but this chute is from 1999 so certainly not that old.  My 1980s era C-9 in my BA-22 has the OD lines.  Cant recall which my LW-3B chute has for lines but thinking its OD for some reason, I know my J5D chute has white.   Need to dig out my ACES-II risers and attach them to the links.