N°7 (US) Troop N°6 Commando

Johan Willaert

Johan Willaert

Can anyone direct me to more info on GI's of the 34ID who in 1942 took part in the invasion of North Africa as part of the British N°6 Commando???

Thanks,

JOhan

General Apathy
Can anyone direct me to more info on GI's of the 34ID who in 1942 took part in the invasion of North Africa as part of the British N°6 Commando???

Thanks,

Johan

Hi Johan, I was interested by your question above about G.I.'s serving alongside British Commandos, I don't have the information you are after however I have intended for some time to add a photograph I have to the forum.

I have a framed photograph dated 1942 showing a group photograph of the 1st Royal Marines, Llanybyther, Wales, 1942, in the front row are five U.S.Marines in dress uniform.

I will post it on a separate posting sometime so that it does not interfere with your request here, good luck I hope someone can help you with your request.

Cheers ( Lewis )

• 7 months later...

Thanks,

JOhan

JOhan

Yes, there were serveral hundred American soldiers from several units of the 34th Division (but I believe primarily from the 168th Infantry). Sometime in during the Aug 1942 - Sep 1942 time frame, volunteers were called on to serve with the British commandos. I do know that at least (238) men served with No.1 Commando. I imagine that about that same number would have served with the No.6 Commando. For the No.6 Commando (4) officers and (326) other ranks were attached to that organization for training on/about 03-Sep-1942. I do not know how many remained after the training phase completed.

The Americans with the No.1 Commando were initially placed in (4) additional Troops with the No.1 Commando. Normally, there were (6) Troops in a British Commando Group, so there were now (10) Troops in each. Each American Troop was led by a 1st Lt. with normally a S/Sgt as 2nd in Command. There were (2) S/Sgts or Sgts as Section Leaders. The No.6 Commando also had (4) Troops of Americans organized in a similiar way. These Troops were formed in preparation for the landings near Algiers on 08-Nov-1942, to give the British commandos an American look with the hope that the French would be less resistant to an American landing. The American Troops were retained after the Algiers landings and continued to serve with the British Commandos up through the end of January 1943. Although some men may have returned to units of the 34th Division sometime around December 1942. It is thought that the remaining Americans banded together and patrolled the Tunisian front during the month of February 1943, then returned to units of the 34th Division in March 1943.

Cobrahistorian

Cool topic! Out of curiosity, how many were National Guardsmen from MN/WI? Sounds like a good article for our magazine!

Jon

General Apathy

post-344-1253567492.jpg

Thanks,

JOhan

Hi Johan, finally found that photo I have of U.S. marines training with British commandos, I know it's not the group that you were looking for but thought it may be interesting.

I think there are five Marines in the front row, names are given on the rear of the photo.

Cheers ( Ken )

NOT connected to the 34th ID people serving with the Commandos, but:

There were plans in the UK to form a USMC Troop in the British Commandos, per one of the Marine vets of the OSS OG's in Southern France (Operation UNION II). He, several buddies and Capt Peter Ortiz were sent to the Commando school: IIRC there were six Marines in this one cycle. They were intended to be cadremen of such a Troop. There were two USMC units in the UK then, the Barracks in N Ireland and the Naval Security Battalion that served guarding installations in the London area, between the two commands numbering 200-300 men. I wonder if any of the US Marines in the photo were Commando-trained?

Apparently as part of the high-level decision to leave the USMC out of any significant role in ETO combat, the plan for the Marine Commado Troop was shelved; the Naval Sec Bn was also cut back.

Cool topic! Out of curiosity, how many were National Guardsmen from MN/WI? Sounds like a good article for our magazine!

Jon

Jon,

I know of at least (13) Minnesota National Guardsmen who served with the Commandos during WWII.

Craig

Johan

Here is a link to a thread I started on Camp Dodge.There are some uniforms you may find intresting.If I get back there or can find an email for you.Im sure they wil have some information.Also Homer Ankrums boo "DOG FACES WHO SMILED THROUGH TEARS"may have some information also.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...p;hl=camp+dodge

RON

• 2 weeks later...

Johan

US casualties serving with 6 Commando

Surname: Ashworth

Forename: Glen Wilson Unit: 6 Commando

Number: 35036682 Gravesite: North Africa American Cemetery,Carthage,Tunisia Plot G Row 12 Grave 13

Date Of Death: 8th November 1942

Further Details: parent unit 168 Infantry Regiment,34 US Infantry Division from Marion County,Ohio KIA North Africa

Surname: Boettcher

Forename: Otto P. Unit: 6 Commando

Number: 20704918 Gravesite:

Further Details: parent unit 168 Infantry Regiment,34 U.S.Division from Polk County,Iowa KIA North Africa

Surname: Christensen

Forename: Leland P. Unit: 6 Commando

Number: 20703337 Gravesite:

Further Details: parent unit 168 Infantry Regiment,34 U.S.Division from Woodbury County,Iowa KIA North Africa

Surname: Findlay

Forename: Everette Arthur Unit: 6 Commando

Number: 20706174 Gravesite:

Further Details: parent unit 168 Infantry Regiment,34 U.S. Division KIA North Africa

Surname: Glaze

Forename: Keith Franklin Unit: 6 Commando

Number: 20706542 Gravesite: buried Council Bluffs,Iowa

Date Of Death: 22nd November 1942

Further Details: parent unit 168 Infantry Regiment,34 U.S.Division from Pottawattamie County,Iowa son of Earl Cliff

Surname: Harshbarger

Forename: John R. Unit: 6 Commando

Number: 35170380 Gravesite:

Further Details: parent unit 168 Infantry Regiment,34 U.S.Division from Fountain County,Indiana DOW North Africa

Surname: Johnson

Forename: Max Roy Unit: 6 Commando

Number: 20706191 Gravesite:

Further Details: parent unit 168 Infantry Regiment,34 U.S.Division from Mills County,Iowa KIA North Africa

Surname: Penewit

Forename: Gordon R. Unit: 6 Commando

Number: 20706207 Gravesite:

Further Details: parent unit 168 Infantry Regiment,34 U.S.Division from Mills County,Iowa nephew of Carrie I. Stone

Surname: Maness

Forename: Walter E. Unit: 6 Commando

Number: 34170766 Gravesite:

Further Details: parent unit 168 Infantry Regiment,34 U.S.Division from Moore County,North Carolina KIA North Africa

Surname: Shumaker

Forename: John D. Unit: 6 Commando

Number: 37044956 Gravesite:

Further Details: parent unit 168 Infantry Regiment,34 U.S.Division from Lee County,Iowa KIA North Africa

Surname: Thomas

Forename: Kenneth Harold Unit: 6 Commando

Number: 20706224 Gravesite: Fort Leavenworth National Cemetery,Kansas,U.S.A. Section H Site 49

Further Details: parent unit 168 Infantry Regiment,34 U.S.Division from Mills County,Iowa born 1.3.1921 KIA North Africa

Surname: Warner

Forename: Chester M. Unit: 6 Commando

Number: 35109840 Gravesite: North Africa American Cemetery,Carthage,Tunisia Tablets of the Missing

Further Details: parent unit 168 Infantry Regiment,34 U.S.Division from Floyd County,Indiana award Bronze Star KIA

Surname: Steele

Forename: Mack D. Unit: 6 Commando

Number: 20706090 Gravesite:

Date Of Death: 23rd November 1942

Further Details: parent unit 168 Infantry Regiment,34 U.S.Division from Pottawattamie County,Iowa WIA 22.11.1942 Dieppe

Hope this is some interest

Regards

Richie

Johan

Number: 35036682 Gravesite: North Africa American Cemetery,Carthage,Tunisia Plot G Row 12 Grave 13

Further Details: parent unit 168 Infantry Regiment,34 US Infantry Division from Marion County,Ohio KIA North Africa

Further Details: parent unit 168 Infantry Regiment,34 U.S.Division from Polk County,Iowa KIA North Africa

Further Details: parent unit 168 Infantry Regiment,34 U.S.Division from Woodbury County,Iowa KIA North Africa

Further Details: parent unit 168 Infantry Regiment,34 U.S. Division KIA North Africa

Further Details: parent unit 168 Infantry Regiment,34 U.S.Division from Pottawattamie County,Iowa son of Earl Cliff

Further Details: parent unit 168 Infantry Regiment,34 U.S.Division from Fountain County,Indiana DOW North Africa

Further Details: parent unit 168 Infantry Regiment,34 U.S.Division from Mills County,Iowa KIA North Africa

Further Details: parent unit 168 Infantry Regiment,34 U.S.Division from Mills County,Iowa nephew of Carrie I. Stone

Further Details: parent unit 168 Infantry Regiment,34 U.S.Division from Moore County,North Carolina KIA North Africa

Further Details: parent unit 168 Infantry Regiment,34 U.S.Division from Lee County,Iowa KIA North Africa

Number: 20706224 Gravesite: Fort Leavenworth National Cemetery,Kansas,U.S.A. Section H Site 49

Further Details: parent unit 168 Infantry Regiment,34 U.S.Division from Mills County,Iowa born 1.3.1921 KIA North Africa

Number: 35109840 Gravesite: North Africa American Cemetery,Carthage,Tunisia Tablets of the Missing

Further Details: parent unit 168 Infantry Regiment,34 U.S.Division from Floyd County,Indiana award Bronze Star KIA

Further Details: parent unit 168 Infantry Regiment,34 U.S.Division from Pottawattamie County,Iowa WIA 22.11.1942 Dieppe

Regards

Richie

Johan

Regards

Richie

I've only glanced through this listing this morning, but I do see one name that is is error. Findley, Everett A. was killed on 22-Nov-1942, during the strafing attack against the commando train by (2) German ME109F fighter planes. Findley did not die during the landings at Algiers on 08-Nov-1942.

• 2 months later...
The picture showing early phase of the British-American cooperation in the field of special ops and commando-type units.

I doubt that this picture is a photo of the original 1st Ranger Battalion training in Ireland and Scotland based upon (2) details that don't seem to be a "fit" with the Rangers:

The leggings on the G.I. to the right appear to be full-sized. Because of the speed marches that became so essential in the Rangers' conditioning, they cut the top portions of their leggings off. In photos of Rangers wearing leggings, their leggings are noticeably shorter.

The G.I.s in this photo have the messkit pouch still attached to their haversacks. As a general rule, the Rangers did not carry a messkit (canteen cup, spoon, helmet were all the utensils needed). Sometimes they were able to fashion the pouch and attach it to their web belt and use it to carry something more useful (like grenades).

Fyi,

A large number of men from the U.S. 34th Infantry Division also served with the original 1st Ranger Battalion. There are some who claim as many as 80% came from the 34th ID. I believe the breakdown is closer to: 34th Infantry Division = 60%, 1st Armored Division = 30%, Miscellaneous V Corps Outfits = 10%.

I hope this helps.

Take Care,

Craig D. Johnson