Peleliu Seabee helmet

Phil Swift

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew if the Seabees had big orange circles painted on either side of their helmet for the Peleliu invasion? Someone sent me a picture that talked about how the shore party had big 3 inch orange circles painted on their helmets. I found a picture from a few years ago of a helmet that looked very similar. If anyone has any more information or pictures that would be great. I'd like to put an M1 together that looks like that, it'd be representative of my great uncle who was a Seabee on Peleliu during the invasion.

Screenshot_20210712-125341_Chrome.jpg

20210712_125501.jpg

I would not recommend painting an original lest it turn up FS some day. If I was to consider doing this I would purchase a very late M-1 shell that still looks the part but won't be considered as an original item once you are no longer the caretaker.

JMO,

D

I already restore WW2 M1 helmets, I'm only doing this if I can confirm the Seabees wore something like this at Peleliu 

On 7/12/2021 at 9:53 PM, dmar836 said:

I would not recommend painting an original lest it turn up FS some day. If I was to consider doing this I would purchase a very late M-1 shell that still looks the part but won't be considered as an original item once you are no longer the caretaker.

JMO,

D

This is the final result, decided the front and back would make more sense. Especially since I couldn't find any other examples. The helmet is a fixed bail I've had for awhile with a restored WW2 liner

20210714_091742.jpg

20210714_091750.jpg

CavalryCombatant

Looks good, but just make sure you put some sort of definitive markings on the shell that distinguish it as a recreation.

9 minutes ago, CavalryCombatant said:

Looks good, but just make sure you put some sort of definitive markings on the shell that distinguish it as a recreation.

It's already clear It's not original WW2, it's got some guys name from I think Vietnam in it. So the helmet was original anyway 

10 minutes ago, Phil Swift said:

It's already clear It's not original WW2, it's got some guys name from I think Vietnam in it. So the helmet was original anyway 

I would add that anybody who would mistake that as an original should not be buying helmets.  

Awesome job creating this tribute to your great uncle.

1 minute ago, Blacksmith said:

I would add that anybody who would mistake that as an original should not be buying helmets.  

Awesome job creating this tribute to your great uncle.

Thank you very much. What's also interesting is the 33rd was attached to the 1st Pioneer Battalion which was the same unit my other uncle was on who was a marine on Guadalcanal and Cape Gloucester 

I was able to find a picture of Seabees on Orange Beach at Peleliu which I believe is also where the 33rd landed as well. You can see the circles painted on their uniforms and I assume they are also under their camo covers

wwii1429.jpg

I think the African American Marines acted in support on Peliliu, Iwo, and Okinawa, setting up supply depots, etc. Not too sure about any Seabee connection. Was your uncle African American, by chance?

27 minutes ago, dmar836 said:

I think the African American Marines acted in support on Peliliu, Iwo, and Okinawa, setting up supply depots, etc. Not too sure about any Seabee connection. Was your uncle African American, by chance?

No, he was with the 33rd CB on Orange Beach. The 17th NCB was also there, those are some of the men in the picture who were an all black unit. The shore party of the 33rd would've had the bright orange circles like the ones in the picture to denote shore party on Orange Beach.