Mills belt buckle and keeper. Texas Star. Opinions?

• 2 months later...

I believe it is original. I don't think the star particular indicates Texas. I think they we worn by various militia and national guard officers on their mills web pistol belts around the time of the Spanish American War and later Philippine insurrection.

• 2 years later...
Boy Howdy

Weekend Update!

Another member, Hazynj, posted this picture recently IDing the buckle in the  Indian Wars section.

I am guessing it was used by the USMC during that period.

Hello Boy Howdy

The attached from O'Donnell and Campbell book

I believe the one you show here is a Repro based on the strong stamp as per Dorsey?? I think, states that the original stampings were weak and ran off the buckle as the one in the photo shows, but I can and have been wrong so take it for what is worth and I am sure someone will correct me.🙂

Thanks

Don

IMG_2975.JPG

Boy Howdy

45govt I appreciate your response.

The buckle I have is a different size and shape and has a different marking.

But like I said it is not within my scope of practice. lol

The buckle you inquire about is the one for the pistol cartridge belt. The H buckle above is for the rifle cartridge belt. Both of these buckles were illustrated in a late 1880's Mills products catalog and are labeled "State of Texas."  Whether yours is legit I won't say. The bit about the rifle belt buckles having the stamping that runs to the very edge of the back clasp is correct and is a good telltale for rifle plates. On the pistol plates like yours, my recollection is the repros had the patent more sharply or deeply struck, but thats only a vague recollection and I can't recall for sure. The stippled pattern background inside the oval on originals is like yours, whereas the repops are more like fine grass seeds.  So thats all I can add. 

For what its' worth, here is one of my US buckles for the revolver belt. The stamping on back looks awfully similar to yours. The other tell on these is the background within the oval around the US or star. The fakes don't do a very good job on that grassy/stippling look. Yours looks pretty good.

belt(2).jpg.86cd72bfc3807bcd1b683a59b2caa442.jpgbelt(3).jpg.af49edbfcec1c06ed08b4a5d9b2d2f9e.jpg

Boy Howdy
On 2/6/2024 at 3:42 PM, CAC1901 said:

The buckle you inquire about is the one for the pistol cartridge belt. The H buckle above is for the rifle cartridge belt. Both of these buckles were illustrated in a late 1880's Mills products catalog and are labeled "State of Texas."  Whether yours is legit I won't say. The bit about the rifle belt buckles having the stamping that runs to the very edge of the back clasp is correct and is a good telltale for rifle plates. On the pistol plates like yours, my recollection is the repros had the patent more sharply or deeply struck, but thats only a vague recollection and I can't recall for sure. The stippled pattern background inside the oval on originals is like yours, whereas the repops are more like fine grass seeds.  So thats all I can add. 

Thank you 

Boy Howdy
3 hours ago, kfields said:

For what its' worth, here is one of my US buckles for the revolver belt. The stamping on back looks awfully similar to yours. The other tell on these is the background within the oval around the US or star. The fakes don't do a very good job on that grassy/stippling look. Yours looks pretty good.

belt(2).jpg.86cd72bfc3807bcd1b683a59b2caa442.jpgbelt(3).jpg.af49edbfcec1c06ed08b4a5d9b2d2f9e.jpg

Thank you