Dewey Group

gunnertwo

Saw John's post on the upcoming Dewey Medal book (missed noticing it earlier-my bad). Sent him some pics of my group and document. Thought I'd share it here on the Forum. Adam R did some research in 2010 when owned by another collector. 

IMG_2052.jpg

IMG_2046.jpg

IMG_2034Box.jpg

IMG_2029Box.jpg

IMG_2023Medal.jpg

IMG_2022Cert1.jpg

That is one gorgeous medal.  Words just aren’t enough.

Forgive my ignorance please, are those red Tiffany boxes what they were issued in?

John S had that question also. Per his info this medal is from the first production so I'm thinking yes. We've seen the later version with the fitted interior. Hopefully

others will post replies. 

Thanks,

G2

aerialbridge

Beautiful group.  Never saw a Society of Manila Bay cert. or Tiffany red case for the medal, only the tan one.

agate hunter

Amazing group! 

Two of the Concord's 6-inch guns were given to the city of Seattle in 1912 I believe, were on display there until a few years ago, when they were acquired by the Veteran's Memorial Museum in Chehalis, WA. The museum repainted them, they look great. I drive by them all the time. 

843186091_USSConcordgunsChehalis.jpg.683aaf848b7a38df74f8deaa1bff10f5.jpg

The  guns look a lot better than the last time I saw them in Woodland Park. Nice to see they found a good home.

On 7/11/2021 at 5:23 PM, gunnertwo said:

John S had that question also. Per his info this medal is from the first production so I'm thinking yes. We've seen the later version with the fitted interior. Hopefully

others will post replies. 

Thanks,

G2

Weren’t they all (i.e the 1800 or so awarded Tiffany-made named  medals) from the “first”‘production?  

John asked me to check if there was a "T" marking on the rim of my Dewey, none present. He related that Tiffany placed the mark after the first run. He will see this comment and respond. Thanks.

G2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2021 at 4:31 PM, gunnertwo said:

John asked me to check if there was a "T" marking on the rim of my Dewey, none present. He related that Tiffany placed the mark after the first run. He will see this comment and respond. Thanks.

G2

All replacement Dewey Medals after late 1899 or early 1900 were hallmarked on the rim with a Tiffany hallmark. This hallmark changed over time. The photo attached is f a reissue medal about 1901 showing the first style hallmark.

Allen Dewey 3 tight crop.jpg

aerialbridge

Never knew that.   Can't wait to buy this tremendous reference book on the iconic and historic Dewey Medal!

• 2 weeks later...