If Dewey Medals are Rare, How Rare is This!

usmedalman

With a lot of help from great members on this forum, Allen and I are closing in on completing our Dewey Medal book. I just had to share this photo from the NHHC Museum which will appear in the book. First ever mounted Dewey Group I have ever seen and with a Navy Cross to boot. You can tell people that the Dewey Medal is BIG, but mounted next to regular campaign medals really emphasizes how big it is. The group belonged to Admiral Frank Upham and the photograph was taken by Danny at the museum.

Enjoy the eye candy.

Upham Obverse level adjust Smaller.jpg

aerialbridge

Practical way to mount a Dewey medal. While UV rays have taken their toll,  gravity has been thwarted by laying flat for a century.  It would be interesting to see the comparative weight in grams of: 

1.  Dewey Medal

2.  Sampson with just ship's bar pin brooch

3.   Navy Cross

4.   Navy DSM

5.   LOM

6.   BB&B Navy Campaign medal.

7.    Navy WWI vic with single bar

8.    WWII vic.

On 7/12/2021 at 12:52 AM, aerialbridge said:

Practical way to mount a Dewey medal. While UV rays have taken their toll,  gravity has been thwarted by laying flat for a century.  It would be interesting to see the comparative weight in grams of: 

1.  Dewey Medal

2.  Sampson with just ship's bar pin brooch

3.   Navy Cross

4.   Navy DSM

5.   LOM

6.   BB&B Navy Campaign medal.

7.    Navy WWI vic with single bar

8.    WWII vic.

I don't know about the other medals, but a complete Dewey weighs in at 68 grams (including the ribbon).

aerialbridge

So, 2.4 ounces.  I would have thought more, like a quarter pounder.   If I can swing by my local jewelers with a BB&B campaign medal I'll report back with the weight.

aerialbridge
1 hour ago, marineflyer said:

An absolute pleasure to view this grouping. Thank you!!!

A lot of us are looking forward to usmedalman's book on the Dewey Medal coming out soon to order our copies.   We've seen a few stills from the movie, now we have to read the book.  😉