J-1-S Navy Lantern resto question

I saw a website a while back that showed how to adapt these for modern batteries but I can't seem to find it now. I've had this light for years and want to finally get it cleaned up and working. Anybody have any ideas on the modern battery issue and also what a good modern color would be close to the original? I was thinking of some model paint in battleship gray.1058dbb7ffd1e8ba701c3083cc73334d.jpg7e4ae1a83e2b67d34cadacf2abeacf35.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Its got pretty heavy rust on the bottom and the batteries exploded inside. I figured if Im going to clean it up might as well make it work.

I passed up one of these things at a flea market about 5 years ago.  Been wanting to get one ever since.  If you do get yours back in shape, please let us see how it goes.

Mikie

36 minutes ago, Texengland said:

Its got pretty heavy rust on the bottom and the batteries exploded inside. I figured if Im going to clean it up might as well make it work.

Oh, sorry.  In re-reading my post, it's vague.  I was referring to repainting / restoring it visually.  I would not do that.

Regarding getting it functional again, absolutely.  I started my work life as a component-level bench tech, so always leap at opportunities to fix stuff like this.  This would be a really straight-forward job - even assuming that bloated, leaking, corroded batteries destroyed the wiring and other internals.  Even if the switch was cooked - and I doubt it is, that looks to be a standard short-throw lamp toggle switch.  

I only had one wire connection that will need some work. The others just need to be cleaned up. Got the batteries out last night after a lot of work lol. This is where I'm at at the moment, on hold for now till I get more time.fefafe946d1ad2303e2bdb9344b23cf0.jpg418f7e31263102851ccfb647db4dab86.jpge2acedba9c379000f0c3a4c27418bc92.jpgec337d946904ab734d9fbc4ede8623cb.jpg

Nice battle lantern. I have seen them mostly gray colored. I have also seen these red and black. Here are some of mine, the yellow one is a modern battle lantern. None of mine work though. 

D06AF72A-C0F7-4A3A-8D76-7D797CD960F3.jpeg

On 7/12/2021 at 2:37 PM, Blacksmith said:

AWESOME!  Are those 1.5V batteries?

Not sure, I got rid of them pretty quick cause of the corrosion

22 hours ago, hink441 said:

Nice battle lantern. I have seen them mostly gray colored. I have also seen these red and black. Here are some of mine, the yellow one is a modern battle lantern. None of mine work though. 

D06AF72A-C0F7-4A3A-8D76-7D797CD960F3.jpeg

Do the different switch types have any correlation to DOM?

Charlie Flick
On 7/14/2021 at 10:09 AM, Texengland said:

Do the different switch types have any correlation to DOM?

I don’t know for certain but these types are considered WW2 period. The different switch types might be for explosive proof operation in toxic atmospheres. 

This is an old picture of one of mine. I think these types is pre WW2. 

EC461DC1-B259-46D9-9622-A1918A2D062F.jpeg

Anybody know of a replacement connector that works. One was just way too corroded.3456598cb1cb0b94945848898bcfff9b.jpg