'03 Springfield

collector

Haven't looked at this for a while, and never have documented it properly. Got Brophy out and started, and here's what I have come up with.

It's a Mark I that has been through a couple of arsenal revisions, seems mostly not original Mark I, still with some older parts. Serial # 1120930 (1919)

Stock has grasping grooves, with three P stamps on the wrist, and a DAL and SA JFC (in box) on the wrist. Has RI on the stock tip. DAL dates 1917/1918. SA JFC in box dates 1932-1935.

Magazine cutoff notch is stamped F w/serifs.

Stock has the sloping top edges by receiver indication production after 1910.

Handguard Pre WW2 (has round clearance cut). 

Smooth buttplate.

Second type leaf sight.

Type 2 serrated trigger.

Rock Island straight- handled bolt with NS below safety lug, and Escutchen/50 on bottom of bolt, that makes it 11/18 to 2/19. (Bolt info according to John Beard).

Second variation safety lock.

First type magazine cutoff.

Bolt sleeve marked with 7 in box on left side, small san-serif R on right side.

Springfield barrel dated 5 - 42. Counterbored.

This stock is perhaps my favorite part of the rifle, excellent walnut with matching finishes and nice cartouches..

DAL and first Circle P might be from original Mark I inspection, SA JFC and second Circle P from first arsenal refurbish, and third Circle P from re-barrel in 1942?

Bolt seems to be Rock Island, is bolt sleeve Remington?

Thanks for looking.

BoltHandle_z.jpg

BoltMarks_z.jpg

Muzzle_z.jpg

ProofCartouches_z.jpg

Springfield1903Cartouches_z.jpg

Springfield1903CartouchesTip_z.jpg

Springfield1903Left_z.jpg

Springfield1903RecieverStamps_z.jpg

Springfield1903Right_z.jpg

Trigger_z.jpg

Charlie Flick

Nice gun.

Yes, the bolt sleeve is a Remington made part.

Regards,

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2021 at 7:30 PM, RayRay said:

Beautiful piece. Sad about the front sight. 

Here's a close up without the cover, what are you seeing?

IMG_4331.jpg

Nice rifle! The bolt appears to be a RIA nickel steel from the 1918-19 period. Early ones were straight and later were swept back.  The marking under the bolt handle of the ordnance flaming bomb and "50", plus the NS on the underside of the safety lug indicate this.  Your rifle was probably made in late 1919 to early 1920. The Mark 1 I own is S/N 11892xx with a barrel date of 2-20.  As to the front sight, it appears to have been shifted somewhat to the right of center in your photo above without a witness line on the sight base. Take a look at John Beard's  Vi shooters page for much more bolt info: http://www.vishooter.net/m1903.html  Be sure to read the explanatory notes too! Could you take a close-up shot of the ejection port/stock area?  Thanks for posting.

Steve

GWS, Thanks for the input, I got the bolt info from John Beard's site, and the rest from my copy of Brophy. (See original post).

What I did not think to check was the front sight, so that will be next. I enjoy the research.

The rifle shoots OK at 100 yds, I can get in the black on a good day. The stock is definitely not a Mk1.

Here's more pics, are these what you wanted to see? Thanks for the interest.

Right Ejection.jpg

Left Hatcher Hole_IMG_4338.jpg

Thanks for the additional photos. I could not tell for sure if the stock under the ejection port had the small relief cut but you confirmed that.  What I don't know is if the RIA bolt would have been in this rifle originally or not, but if so,  it probably had the later swept bolt handle. Hope the headspace checked ok. Did you check it?  I will look to see if I have either a SA or RIA bolt sleeve, the Remington works but it's a sore thumb on an otherwise nice looking Mk.1 rebuild.

On 7/26/2021 at 8:58 PM, GWS said:

Thanks for the additional photos. I could not tell for sure if the stock under the ejection port had the small relief cut but you confirmed that.  What I don't know is if the RIA bolt would have been in this rifle originally or not, but if so,  it probably had the later swept bolt handle. Hope the headspace checked ok. Did you check it?  I will look to see if I have either a SA or RIA bolt sleeve, the Remington works but it's a sore thumb on an otherwise nice looking Mk.1 rebuild.

Don't know for sure, although I expect that the original bolt was a Springfield, and the arsenals did their usual thing.

I have fired that rifle for some years now, a couple times a year since I got it, not including 2019 and 2020. And yes, the headspace is good.

Just finally had the rifle at the range today as a matter of fact, it shoots well, better than I do. 

I've been using the CMP Lake City 69 I was given a few years ago, and the odd commercial stuff, try to keep it at 150 grain. The local indoor ranges don't like the LC ammo since it's magnetic, so it was good to get outside again.

A more appropriate sleeve might be nice, thanks for looking.

Well, I found the bolt sleeve I was thinking of, but it's a Remington too!  Glad to hear that the headspace is good and the rifle shoots so well. The bolt you have is a good one so I wouldn't worry with it at all.  Someday when I have time I'll post my old 03 shooter on here, talk about a mixmaster of parts! But like yours, it shoots well and I like it so who cares!  Thanks for the reply too.

Steve