USS SALT LAKE CITY Seamans Cap-Named WW2

IrishLegion

IrishLegion

I Was fortunate to acquire this Navy cap with the Tally for the USS SALT LAKE CITY. Named to A S COWIE.

I am not familiar with Naval items and am curious when this cap would date to.  

Also is there any way to track down a roster to this ship to identify when this veteran may have been aboard?

Thank you kindly.

Michael

hatt.jpg

hattt.jpg

hat.jpg

hatttt.jpg

hattttt.jpg

On a side-note, my step-father Everett H. Elmer served aboard the USS Salt Lake City as a Gunner's Mate 3rd Class during the same time Cowie was on board.  My wife and I attended a USS Salt Lake City Reunion in Tulsa, OK with Everett and my mother.  We had lots of fun.  Everett was a wonderful man and had a great sense of humor.  -- Matt

a1.jpg

Your 'flat hat' has a lining that is seen on hats from the World War 1 era to mid-1930s.  Uniform regulations of 1922 call for a 'blue checks' lining.  The 1922 Bluejackets' Manual has illustrations showing this type of hat with the wider top section.  The 1941 Bluejackets' Manual does not show this type hat and has illustrations for the flat hat with the narrower top section.  Various internet references indicate 1933 as the date of change to the narrower top version.  I have not yet found any documentation that supports this date but do not have access to all the uniform regulations changes. 

The USS Salt Lake City was commissioned in December 1929.  I would estimate the hat to be from the period 1929 to 1933, perhaps later depending on the 'wear out' date.  This hat did not belong to A.G Cowie.

aznation -

The follow up information regarding the "Cowie" is in error. 

1) The initials in the hat are "A.S.", not "A.G."

2) A.G. Cowie entered the service 17 Feb 1943, well after the introduction of the narrower style top.

3) A.G. Cowie was received aboard the USS Salt Lake City 7 August 1943

The side-note information is also incorrect.

1)  Everett H. Elmer's rating as shown on the Salt Lake City's Muster Rolls is CM3c - Carpenter's Mate 3rd Class (the photo also shows a specialty mark on the rating of crossed axes (Carpenter's Mate) not crossed cannons (Gunner's Mate)

2) Elmer was transferred off the Salt Lake City 30 April 1943, therefor was not aboard when A.G. Cowie reported.

Larry

4 hours ago, US82Bravo said:

Your 'flat hat' has a lining that is seen on hats from the World War 1 era to mid-1930s.  Uniform regulations of 1922 call for a 'blue checks' lining.  The 1922 Bluejackets' Manual has illustrations showing this type of hat with the wider top section.  The 1941 Bluejackets' Manual does not show this type hat and has illustrations for the flat hat with the narrower top section.  Various internet references indicate 1933 as the date of change to the narrower top version.  I have not yet found any documentation that supports this date but do not have access to all the uniform regulations changes. 

The USS Salt Lake City was commissioned in December 1929.  I would estimate the hat to be from the period 1929 to 1933, perhaps later depending on the 'wear out' date.  This hat did not belong to A.G Cowie.

aznation -

The follow up information regarding the "Cowie" is in error. 

1) The initials in the hat are "A.S.", not "A.G."

2) A.G. Cowie entered the service 17 Feb 1943, well after the introduction of the narrower style top.

3) A.G. Cowie was received aboard the USS Salt Lake City 7 August 1943

The side-note information is also incorrect.

1)  Everett H. Elmer's rating as shown on the Salt Lake City's Muster Rolls is CM3c - Carpenter's Mate 3rd Class (the photo also shows a specialty mark on the rating of crossed axes (Carpenter's Mate) not crossed cannons (Gunner's Mate)

2) Elmer was transferred off the Salt Lake City 30 April 1943, therefor was not aboard when A.G. Cowie reported.

Larry

Boy, did I get this wrong.  Thank you Larry for clarifying the age of the hat.  I thought perhaps the "S" could've been a "G" and I had no idea the hat was from an earlier period.  Clearly I don't know enough about Navy items.  Also, thank you for the correction about Everett's rate.

1 hour ago, aznation said:

Boy, did I get this wrong.  Thank you Larry for clarifying the age of the hat.  I thought perhaps the "S" could've been a "G" and I had no idea the hat was from an earlier period.  Clearly I don't know enough about Navy items.  Also, thank you for the correction about Everett's rate.

For all the home runs you hit around here, I for one am happy to let you get an occasional foul ball. It never ceases to amaze me with the stuff you dig up. 

Mikie

16 minutes ago, mikie said:

For all the home runs you hit around here, I for one am happy to let you get an occasional foul ball. It never ceases to amaze me with the stuff you dig up. 

Mikie

Thanks Mikie!  I appreciate it.

RustyCanteen

Great flat hat, this is definitely a 1920s example.

If it helps, your sailor was Andrew Scott Cowie, he enlisted 2 July 1928. I do not see a FindAGrave entry to point you to (probably he is in there simply as Andrew Cowie, but you'd have to sort out the birth dates to locate the right one).