Holy moly, I blew my money at the auction, what’ve I got?!

CavalryCombatant

Yeah, it's a small size, I concur it won't fit on most mannequin heads.
For what it's worth, I have bought on Am**on France a couple of PVC display busts the size of a child's (I won't be putting a commercial link on the forum, I guess you'll find them back quite easily in the USA with the picture).

This display bust was actually a little too small for my medium-size H-4 set, but I put a few pieces of cloth on the top of the skull to "stuff" it, and now it fits just fine ; very stable and quite heavy compared to a foam head.
Your set being a small size, no wonder it will do the trick !

43 minutes ago, CavalryCombatant said:

Maybe I should just cutdown a normal foam one until it fits?  

Some of the helmet and headphone pads are vinyl and if they come into contact with foam, things can get damaged. Check out  https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/216143-solving-problem-with-styrofoam-head-display/

CavalryCombatant

I’ve actually seen those PVC ones in the past, didn’t realize they were a smaller size.  

I love the way your H-4 looks on it, the black really compliments the flight helmet and equipment.  I think I’ll probably be going down this route too, as I found a couple for a pretty reasonable price.

1 hour ago, Bob Hudson said:

Some of the helmet and headphone pads are vinyl and if they come into contact with foam, things can get damaged. Check out  https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/216143-solving-problem-with-styrofoam-head-display/

I’ve actually read a similar thread in the past, hence why I wasn’t overly into the idea of using a foam head.  Very interesting solution though, I might just have to do that to the heads I’ve got currently.

8 minutes ago, CavalryCombatant said:

I love the way your H-4 looks on it, the black really compliments the flight helmet and equipment.

Thanks, and glad I could be of help 😉.

This is actually for that aesthetic matter that all my flight helmets are displayed on black display heads (PVC, black-painted acrylic resin, or black-flocked styrofoam ; white styrofoam or clear PVC doesn't look as good IMO). Besides, I've found that the flocking coating on the styro heads I bought seems to cancel the hazardous vinyl / styrofoam interaction, for I've never had any problem so far in 4 years.

Now I'm looking forward to seeing this H-4 set of yours properly diaplayed !

CavalryCombatant

Quick little update;

I looked over the O2 mask, and it’s got three dates, the latest of which is “56” which I assume indicates it’s year of manufacture.

I also was looking closer at the goggles the other day and their marked “USN” and American Optical on the top, and 1958 on the side.

Regarding the mask, not really 😁.

It's actually the "dotting" pattern that will indicate the mfg. date.

That would be the month for these old masks, each year on the pie chart sports 12 small boxes (the chart was simplfied by quarters around the 70's).

Example below with my early APH-5's MS-22001 mask from the same late 50's era to help you date your mask (disclaimer : by the time I wrote this review, I didn't know how to read the pie chart, so I used to be puzzled too).

798690444_APH5(14).jpg.e8389c00d4e9efc5a1a05d343135c35f.jpg

The last dot present on the pie chart is the month during which it was manufactured : you can see that the years 54 and 55 are fully filled, and there are 2 dots only on the year 56. So it's February 1956 with my example.

As for the goggles, like I told you, you are lucky to have the specific USN version of the B-8 (these were also manufactured by Polaroid and Rochester Optical).

That includes the "USN" markings, of course.

Wayward Son

CC,

Thanks for carrying on CDR Nygard's Naval Aviator legacy by preserving his flight gear. His records show that he was an exemplary man.

Bradford

• 4 months later...
CavalryCombatant

Finally got around to picking up the suggested mannequin head and she arrived today, I’m sure I made more then a few whoopsies on installing the set, but I’ll work on ironing it out.

Unfortunately the head I got was actually too big (despite all the complaints on the website, LOL) and didn’t fit the cloth liner.  Thankfully, was able to fit everything else together and for my use it looks ok.

Im still working on decent lighting, but the picture is, at least, better then whatever awfulness I started with. 

Worth noting I took major inspiration from Gauthier‘s helmet, really appreciate him sharing pictures of his H-4!

CC

21A13262-244A-4D44-898C-105738956F4D.jpeg

Nice. Hobby Lobby also has the standard styrofoam heads. With their 40% online running coupon, they are reasonable when buying just one or two. They are fun to update with faux stone paint and various bases made from scrap wood.

Dave

CavalryCombatant

Thanks guys!  This is definitely one I’m proud to have.

There’s quite a lot of interesting stuff I haven’t photographed yet, might post it all in the groupings section over the weekend.

CC

Your display indeed reminds me of mine, thans for the kind words about the inspiration 😉.

Too bad you couldn't make the liner fit (but your rigid shell is a size small, which can explain it compared to my medium size).

Definitely looking good !

CavalryCombatant

I’m cross posting this, but I found a very blurry image of MR. Nygaard’s squadron patch.  If anyone would be able to recognize it I would be in your debt.