Holy moly, I blew my money at the auction, what’ve I got?!

CavalryCombatant

CavalryCombatant

Howdy all, as the name suggests I was at a local estate auction today and maybe spent a tidbit more then I should have.  The worst part is, I don’t know half of what I bought!

I mainly collect M1’s, and did end up with one (I’ll make a post on it shortly), but I couldn’t help myself when I saw all this flight equipment for sale.  It was all onesy toosy, single items at a time.  Im sure there was a lot that I missed, but Im pretty sure I got most of the good bits 😎.

From my understanding the man who all these items belonged to was a member of the Naval Air Forces during the mid 1950’s through Vietnam.  

My main question, is what in the world are all these cords for? I understand the ones coming from the cloth helmet are probably for hearing, and maybe the ones in the mask for communication, but what’s the deal with the whole rest of the box?  They all seem to have markings indicating this and that, which I seem to have no ability to understand.  I think there’s maybe a few sets of extra microphones for the flight helmet ???

If anyone is familiar with the wiring, or knows a place I can research it that’d be greatly appreciated.  I’m also wondering how I should store them to ensure they don’t get damaged, and how I can display them safely.  The O2 mask is super solid, no cracks or anything but the wiring on the flight helmet seems to be getting close to being stripped.

And one last thing, if anyone has any idea what this setup might be worth that’d be awesome.  No intent to sell it, I’m just curios if I overpaid for it, and possibly what would be a good deal moving forward.

Not sure if my pictures are of what’d be needed to answer my questions, if I missed any important details let me know.

Thanks,

CC

F90DA580-05E9-4B02-AE21-4853559710CB.jpeg

2EF398F3-70E6-4A29-AC49-6E6A03D067E8.jpeg

F81A1948-F133-4706-883D-ED6E798B6F0A.jpeg

13CE56AC-E8FC-4F27-AE80-B56FEF3B5F9A.jpeg

AE5EF651-C71E-4DDF-B214-0D8EAD965C31.jpeg

415C9184-57C8-492E-AF3F-F8FF1306CA93.jpeg

8969B2C0-75F2-4196-A686-8BAF0F78C5A0.jpeg

A13BD2B6-EF16-4F2F-ACC4-0B1009F4FE0E.jpeg

C9421DE9-B2FF-4D60-A49F-720D84E81071.jpeg

B8731C6E-6C52-45E2-A5D5-EFE4D36998B7.png

C4B807E3-F824-43CC-B40F-FB8A06FE941B.jpeg

CavalryCombatant

Markings on the headphones of the flight helmet, and the box the goggles came in. 

Looking into the gentleman now, I’ll post some pics of his bomber jacket at some point.  (I missed his leather ones, but got his other one.)

CE9510E4-1199-4B13-B40F-5CE8F39E45E9.jpeg

B93172FF-1730-4DD8-A093-DF77F22B65A6.jpeg

CavalryCombatant

If anyone is good with researching navy fliers, I’d greatly appreciate any help! 

Don’t know much, other then he yields from Minnesota.

BDAE51AA-2E08-44F6-8D30-E431FCEFF897.jpeg

AFE5DF2C-90A8-418D-BB68-933B0710C91C.png

2C900ED3-217D-4FC4-AB86-55DA046CD7A6.png

manayunkman

That’s a great set up!!

I love these helmets and you have everything.

What is the name tag on?

CavalryCombatant
5 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

That’s a great set up!!

I love these helmets and you have everything.

What is the name tag on?

Names tag’s on his flight jacket, I believe the pattern is the MA-1, according to a quick search.

Thank you for the kind words my friends 

Great haul! Looks like a complete H-4 flight helmet. Right now, those are going for $300-$500 on eBay. Always helps when it’s named or if you know some history behind it. 

marineflyer

The second plastic covered name tag is from his Naval Cadet Flight TRaing. That is ihis class 59-c at Corry Field etc. 

CavalryCombatant
12 minutes ago, marineflyer said:

The second plastic covered name tag is from his Naval Cadet Flight TRaing. That is ihis class 59-c at Corry Field etc. 

Thanks for the info!  Any idea if I’ll be able to find a class photo from then?  And would 59 indicate 1959? Or is that just a coincidence.

Very nice catch !

It indeed is a complete H-4 named set, this helmet being iconic of the post-Korea war naval aviation during the mid 50's to early 60's, before the mass introduction of the more modern APH-5.

The shell looks well patined but in a terrific condition, especially on the inside : nothing missing with the pads / suspension straps from what I see, and the labels are intact.
Very few corrosion to the metallic parts (snaps, rivets) and the boom mike, which is a real bonus.

The cloth liner is a perfect match and has the earphones and comm cord + jack present, you're just missing the 2 front straps with snaps (there's evidence they were eventually cut) to attach it to the shell.

The early rubber MS-22001 is in great shape and complete, with the comm cord, 2-pin plug (PL-291 or PJ-292), Y-yoke metal retention with snaps / straps typical of the Navy during this late 50's / early 60's era, and what looks to be a P/N 191A2 connector to the plane. I assume the microphone is present inside the face piece and connected to the comm cord. By the way, what does the time stamp say about the mfg year ? (it would look like a "pie chart" on the side).

The M-6A/UR boom mike is complete as well with the tilting C-bracket, comme cord, and the PJ-292 two-pin plug.

Icing on the cake, you have this helmet paired with the correct USN B-8 goggles variant, with "rigger" snaps typical of the H-3 / H-4 sets (hard to find - actually I've been looking in vain for a pair for my example in months 😁...).

The content of the cardboard box with all the comms / plugs and Army amplifier is a question mark to me, but my guess is that it doesn't look related to the H-4 pilot helmet set, because as it is, it looks complete already (shell + boom mike / cloth liner + comms / mask + comms / USN goggles).

I don't know how much you paid for the whole set, but given what I've been looking at on a daily basis on the international used market, the helmet set itself (not including the cardboard content) is definitely in the 7-900$ range. For instance, in France, my usual retailer sells those 50's complete sets for about 900€.

Such a mid-50's O² rubber mask full set in that condition would sell on the used market around 200$ minimum (some specialized shops would go up to 400, prices for O² masks -modern or old- are getting through the roof).
The rigid shell in such an excellent condition would cost about the same (200$, for it's named and labelled), the liner with earphones around 150$, and the rare rigger-modified USN B-8 goggles with specific snaps for 150$ as well.
Please note that it's not my intention to speculate or overevaluate stuff, I'm mostly giving you an average of the prices I've most commonly encountered so far for similar items (some are exceedingly higher, but appear not to sell).

Hope it's been helpful ! And again : great score 😉👍

Gauthier

marineflyer

The 59-C is a class number. The BRU-2 is probably the type of class. Corry Field had multiple classes as they trained flyers. Itis now known collectively as NAS Pensacola. The helmet H-4 with the oxygen setup is for a jet, probaably a Gruman like a F-9 Panther etc. If you were flyng above 10,000ft most of the time or aboard ship you wore an oxygen mask. If you were flying prop a/c normally well below 10,000 the you used a hook up like a boom mike and not an oxy mask. The cloth helmet is surely back to his early traing days.  Maybe as late as an SNJ. Great items you found but I would like to see the flight jacket. I'll help if I can. Richard

“The cloth helmet is surely back to his early training days.”

The “cloth helmet” is actually the liner for the Hard Helmet. 

Chris

marineflyer

Yes you are correct the cloth helmut was the liner for the hard hat. It had the earphones. The hard hat had the mask for oxygen. 

CavalryCombatant
2 hours ago, Vark_07 said:

Very nice catch !

It indeed is a complete H-4 named set, this helmet being iconic of the post-Korea war naval aviation during the mid 50's to early 60's, before the mass introduction of the more modern APH-5.

The shell looks well patined but in a terrific condition, especially on the inside : nothing missing with the pads / suspension straps from what I see, and the labels are intact.
Very few corrosion to the metallic parts (snaps, rivets) and the boom mike, which is a real bonus.

The cloth liner is a perfect match and has the earphones and comm cord + jack present, you're just missing the 2 front straps with snaps (there's evidence they were eventually cut) to attach it to the shell.

The early rubber MS-22001 is in great shape and complete, with the comm cord, 2-pin plug (PL-291 or PJ-292), Y-yoke metal retention with snaps / straps typical of the Navy during this late 50's / early 60's era, and what looks to be a P/N 191A2 connector to the plane. I assume the microphone is present inside the face piece and connected to the comm cord. By the way, what does the time stamp say about the mfg year ? (it would look like a "pie chart" on the side).

The M-6A/UR boom mike is complete as well with the tilting C-bracket, comme cord, and the PJ-292 two-pin plug.

Icing on the cake, you have this helmet paired with the correct USN B-8 goggles variant, with "rigger" snaps typical of the H-3 / H-4 sets (hard to find - actually I've been looking in vain for a pair for my example in months 😁...).

The content of the cardboard box with all the comms / plugs and Army amplifier is a question mark to me, but my guess is that it doesn't look related to the H-4 pilot helmet set, because as it is, it looks complete already (shell + boom mike / cloth liner + comms / mask + comms / USN goggles).

I don't know how much you paid for the whole set, but given what I've been looking at on a daily basis on the international used market, the helmet set itself (not including the cardboard content) is definitely in the 7-900$ range. For instance, in France, my usual retailer sells those 50's complete sets for about 900€.

Such a mid-50's O² rubber mask full set in that condition would sell on the used market around 200$ minimum (some specialized shops would go up to 400, prices for O² masks -modern or old- are getting through the roof).
The rigid shell in such an excellent condition would cost about the same (200$, for it's named and labelled), the liner with earphones around 150$, and the rare rigger-modified USN B-8 goggles with specific snaps for 150$ as well.
Please note that it's not my intention to speculate or overevaluate stuff, I'm mostly giving you an average of the prices I've most commonly encountered so far for similar items (some are exceedingly higher, but appear not to sell).

Hope it's been helpful ! And again : great score 😉👍

Gauthier

Wow, I’m not sure If I can put to words how thankful I am for all this information.  Helpful beyond belief!  I’ll check to see if I can find the pie chart on the mask tomorrow.

I was honestly on the fence about the goggles, I actually had no idea they were rigger modified or rare, but I figured that they’d complete the look. 

I also forgot to include the contents of the goggles box, which I didn’t get a chance to look at until I got home.  Not exactly sure what it all is, but if I understand it correctly theres a microphone holder, some NOS padding of some sort presumably for the flight helmet and I believe foam pads for the cloth helmet.

Once again, I just want to say thank you, so very much, for taking the time to write up all the information and share it, it means a lot.

C65F70DD-6362-43B5-BDE6-0E96622C31B3.jpeg

E86D6048-4DDB-4F6B-99A0-323CB2113C79.png

CavalryCombatant
1 hour ago, manayunkman said:

Yes the flight jacket, please.

What else was at the auction from this pilot?

As requested, the flight jacket.  If you happen to know when this was made, it’d be greatly appreciated.

My apologies for the bad photos, didn’t feel like setting up a backdrop.

BC6023DF-7CEF-499A-9587-5D696492A611.jpeg

DBDBC850-571D-47CB-A9BE-4A321EAA71C6.jpeg

A9A4D141-9279-4089-9B54-D5413E640241.jpeg

Source:  Ancestry.com

d9.jpg

d9a.jpg

Douglas Arthur Nygard

August 23, 2018 | St. Peter Herald (MN)

Published in the St. Peter Herald

Douglas Nygard 1931–2018 St. Peter, MN—Douglas Arthur Nygard, 87, of St. Peter, MN passed away peacefully on August 24, 2018 at Mayo Clinic Hospital in Mankato. Doug was born on March 1, 1931 in Saint Peter to Phyllis and Lloyd Nygard. He graduated from Saint Peter High School in 1949 and from Gustavus Adolphus College with a B.S. in Physics in 1953. After graduation, Doug joined the US Navy as an officer and earned his Naval Aviation wings in 1955. He spent time on active duty and transitioned to the US Navy Reserves where he continued to serve until he retired in 1978 with the rank of Commander. In 1967, he married ReVae (Carlson) Nygard of Saint Peter, MN. Married for over 50 years, together they created a wonderful life, home, and family in Saint Peter. Doug worked for AC Spark Plug and General Motors as an engineer working on guidance systems and trained the Royal Air Force in England on a guidance system program. He also worked at Sperry Univac as a Naval System Engineer, the clinic administrator at the St Peter Clinic, and at Wal-Mart as an assembly operator. Doug earned the rank of Eagle Scout while in high school and was later awarded the prestigious Order of the Arrow by the Boy Scouts of America. He played trumpet and coronet and marched with the Govenaires Drum and Bugle Corp of St Peter, MN. He was a life member of the Naval Aviation Museum Foundation in Pensacola, FL. He was very active in many local civic and fraternal organizations. He served as president of the Rotary Club, and was a member of the American Legion and Red Men Club. Doug served as the Master of Nicollet Lodge No. 54 in 1985 and was honored with the Hiram Award by the Lodge in 2007. He also served as Grand High Priest of the Grand Chapter of Royal Arch Masons of Minnesota, Grand Illustrious Master of the Grand Council of Cryptic Masons of Minnesota, and Commander of Ivanhoe Commandery No. 31. He is survived by his loving wife of over 50 years, ReVae (Carlson) Nygard; his children, Don Nygard of Panama City, FL and Jennifer (Jack) Roberts of Le Sueur, MN. He is also survived by his three granddaughters, Skylar and Baylee Nygard and Jessica Roberts. Funeral Service will be 11:00am Wednesday, August 29, 2018 at Trinity Lutheran Church in St. Peter. Visitation will be 4:00pm – 7:00pm Tuesday, August 28 at the St. Peter Funeral Home with a Masonic Service at 7:00pm. Visitation will continue one hour prior to the service at church Wednesday. Burial will be 11:45am Thursday, August 30th at Fort Snelling National Cemetery in Minneapolis. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to: Naval Aviation Foundation Museum in Pensacola, FL www.NavalAviationFoundation.org or the Shriners Hospital for Children in Minneapolis, MN https://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/minneapolis.

Source:  Veteran's Affairs Gravesite Locator

d1.jpg

Source:  Find-A-Grave

d2.jpg

d2a.jpg

Source:  Obituary

d3.jpg

d4.jpg

d5.jpeg

d6.jpg

d7.jpg

d8.jpg

CavalryCombatant

Incredible research, I really appreciate it!  The knowledge and skill on this forum never fails to amaze me.  Thank you for finding pictures, I intend to display them, alongside a brief writeup of douglas’s career, with his flight helmet once I find a way to get it all to fit together.

You are most perfectly welcome, CavalryCombatant 🙂.

Awesome research, Aznation !

4 hours ago, CavalryCombatant said:

I was honestly on the fence about the goggles, I actually had no idea they were rigger modified or rare, but I figured that they’d complete the look.

Let's just say that the USN B-8 sets (from WW2 and post-WW2) are harder to come by than the more common USAAF ones ; and even harder when looking for the specific ones modified with snaps during the 50's for H-3 / H-4 sets.

Here's a picture of the same (these ones made by Rochester Optical) modified USN B-8 goggles to illustrate - you can also notice the 2 front straps / snaps that are missing to your cloth liner. Another picture from the "Bridges at Toko-Ri" movie. I think you get the idea now !

I also forgot to include the contents of the goggles box, which I didn’t get a chance to look at until I got home.  Not exactly sure what it all is, but if I understand it correctly theres a microphone holder, some NOS padding of some sort presumably for the flight helmet and I believe foam pads for the cloth helmet.

You are correct, the tan pads are NOS cheek sizing pads for the H-3 / H-4 rigid shell (check inside the rigid shell, same as the ones you have inside), and the circular green ones look like spares for the cloth liner.

You've also got an extra tilting "C-bracket" meant to hold a boom mike (although I don't see it on the pictures I'm positive this is the same that's mounted on the side of the rigid shell you own), this kind of bracket was still in use with the more modern APH-5 and APH-6 helmets throughout the 60's and 70's.

Finally, from what I see (but I'm pretty unsure about this one), you've also got what I believe to be a pair of spare "T-straps" for the mask in the case it would be fitted with the alternative A-13A / MS-22001 hardshell nose retention (same as mine) that was also encountered during this late 50's era with these USN masks' sets. If this was to be the case, it would be missing the buckles, hardshell of course, and V-shaped 2-snap retentions on both sides.

As requested, the flight jacket.  If you happen to know when this was made, it’d be greatly appreciated.

My apologies for the bad photos, didn’t feel like setting up a backdrop.

BC6023DF-7CEF-499A-9587-5D696492A611.jpeg

DBDBC850-571D-47CB-A9BE-4A321EAA71C6.jpeg

A9A4D141-9279-4089-9B54-D5413E640241.jpeg

the WEP jacket was basically a flying suit liner but was worn as a flight hackt by both Navy and Marines. There were trousers as well. The Spec on this one puts it in the early to mid 60s  Mil S 18342C I recall was frpm 1964

3 hours ago, CavalryCombatant said:

Incredible research, I really appreciate it!  The knowledge and skill on this forum never fails to amaze me.  Thank you for finding pictures, I intend to display them, alongside a brief writeup of douglas’s career, with his flight helmet once I find a way to get it all to fit together.

You're welcome.  Glad I could help.  Awesome grouping by the way!  -- Matt

1 hour ago, Vark_07 said:

You are most perfectly welcome, CavalryCombatant 🙂.

Awesome research, Aznation !

Thank you Vark_07.  I appreciate the comment!  -- Matt

marineflyer

Great followup by the group. The C bracket was indeed used to modify tempoaraily hard shell helmets for a boom mic to fly Huey's for instance or T-28's. I was issued one in 70 for that purpose.  The jacket was indeed the upper half of a cold weather flight suit and was worn as a flight jacket instead of the leather jacket. I got mine in 68.. Jackets have both a green lining and a tan lining. Great stuff. 

CavalryCombatant

Thanks everyone for the kind words!  I’m so excited to getting a display put together and seeing it all together as it should be.

Now the million dollar question, how do I actually display the flight helmet?  Right now it’s sitting on a helmet stand, but I want to end up having the o2 mask and the cloth helmet on display as well, the only issue is that my mannequin heads are too big for the set (size small) to fit.  

I love the idea of displaying it on a mannequin head, but do companies make smaller ones? Perhaps a female mannequin head would work?  Maybe I should just cutdown a normal foam one until it fits?  

I’m not entirely sure, I’d love to hear others’ input.

I was debating asking this in the display section, but figured it’d be good to ask here first.