US Navy SEALS Rigs and own custom rigs

CamoDeafie

Hi y'all, all the scans are from the 1995 Hans Halberstadt book, US navy SEALS in Action, published by MBI Publishing Company, the pictures of a customized LBE is of my own, which i made to fit my paintballing needs ;)

SEAL-LBT-ALICE.jpg

we see a SEAL with an older ALICE pack, and with a London Bridge Trading modular vest, for ALICE pouches and with flotation panels in the sides, I had the chance to pick up one from a surplus store for only 40 bucks but it had been gone when i went back there :(

SEALM60.jpg

here, the SEAL is a M60 gunner, with a gunner;s harness rig, I am not sure what company or product this is, as its not metal boxes or belts, but rather, cardboard boxes with the belts inside and attached to the harness

SEALMP5s.jpg

a pair of SEALS, in woodland and with MP5 Navy version submachine guns, they both have leg pouches for the MP5 30 rd magazines, but I have never seen the same from Blackhawk or other gear manufacturers, these seem to be rigger made, similar to the LBV pouches on the Tactical LBVs made in the same time frame

SEALRTO.jpg

a SEAL RTO with a chest rig, I've never seen a commercial version, this one does not have a "map pocket" nor a shoulder strap pouch as seen on british/UK/condor/airsoft chest rigs, this one appears to be also rigger made

SEALSTraining.jpg

we see a bunch of SEALS on training in ship takedown tactics, each of them sport a flotation vest or bulletproof vest, not sure, and they appear to be similar to ABA type vests shown by nkomo

IMG00368.jpg

IMG00367.jpg

IMG00372.jpg

IMG00371.jpg

IMG00370.jpg

IMG00369.jpg

this is my custom ALICE LBE rig, the shoulders are modified from LC-2 shoulder straps, and provides me with a way to stabilize all 4 M16 magazine pouches, which I modified to not have grenade straps, the complete set up is such that It fits the needs for a weekend of paintballing for me :) I have modified it further by replacing the MOLLE buttpack with a regular Korean knock off buttpack and making the MOLLE buttpack into a mini-ruck sack, I dont have pics of the mini-ruck sack though.. the 2 qt water canteen has a modified cap, to accept a camelbak water tube. other than that, the rest of the equipment is fairly common. Since I am not in the Armed Forces, this is not to be mistaken as a "rigger"-made kit, this is simply my customization to fit my needs :) (yes you may call it a "bubba made" kit :lol: )

craig_pickrall

It appears to me that you are using customized SEAL rigs to explain your personal paintball rig. I think that fits into the re-enactor catagory better than the field gear section so I am moving it.

interesting topic.

in the second photo the gunner harness is a commercial london bridge trading one. you can pick up the label over the left pouch (the model should be lbt-1190 modular load bearing vest)

the mp5 leg pouches are older style American Body Armor ones, the newer had fastex buckles

the navy seal RTO is sporting the same chest harness and radio as depicted in the 1991 book "navy seal combat boarding manual". The vest is labelled as "Rhodesian chest harness", and in that manual is worn over a m79 vest, because the soldier is armed both with a m14 rifle and a m79.

in the last photo they are wearing both a bulletproof vest (Armor of America Tp-1e model, that is commonly seen in period photos) and a UDT life preserver+assault vest.

My small contribution. Do i spot a m67 buttpack?

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa94/taucco/slbv.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa94/taucco/slbv1.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa94/taucco/slbv4.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa94/taucco/slbv5.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa94/taucco/slbv3.jpg

Taucco,

I've seen some pictures of ABA and QRV vests from your photobucket albums, would you mind sharing them?

Thanks,

RTS

CamoDeafie: The triple MP5 leg pouches you are showing are probably ABA as Taucco said-I have a 1999/2000 BlackHawk catalog that

has similar pouches in them. A lot of early BHI stuff looks a lot like some other gearmaker's stuff...kind of like a lot of current BHI stuff

actually. The operators doing VBSS are probably wearing black ABA modular vests. How's that for acronym soup. You did a nice job

making up your own LBE there. That's how it starts. Next thing you know you're buying sewing machines.

Thanks, already have my own sewing machine but am looking for something that can punch through the kidney belt pad on my LC frame so I can give it belt straps (its missing the belt straps...) and I'd been curious about those little-known vests because while they may have been popular in the era, they aren't many out for sale around my neck of woods, and its usually the army LBVs though..

I thought that M60 gunner's harness looked more similar to the SOMAV vests in the same book...? Interesting that they're LBT stuff..hmm.

Thanks, already have my own sewing machine but am looking for something that can punch through the kidney belt pad on my LC frame so I can give it belt straps (its missing the belt straps...) and I'd been curious about those little-known vests because while they may have been popular in the era, they aren't many out for sale around my neck of woods, and its usually the army LBVs though..

I thought that M60 gunner's harness looked more similar to the SOMAV vests in the same book...? Interesting that they're LBT stuff..hmm.

CamoDeafie,

The best thing I can tell you about that is to find a tent and canvas place, saddlemaker, shoe repair guy, parachute rigger etc. who will

have a heavier duty sewing machine who can do the job. Stuff like that will be more than most home sewing machines can manage and

will kill them in short order. I didn't mean to seem condescending, I got started in making custom tactical nylon by copying my dad's

old M56/67/ALICE stuff as a kid with mom's sewing machine, and then the bug bit me. LBT did/does a lot of custom or short production run

stuff that never seems to see the light of day. The M60 gunner rig in the picture seems a little uncomfortable to me, to have the ammo

mounted in that fashion, but since we can't see the rest of the rig and I've never seen another one like that...we'll never know.

Keep it up! If you're seriously interested in actually making your own gear, PM me and I will get some information to you.

• 1 year later...
drunkpunk19thGRU

can you share the photos of the somav vest in your book sir? thanks in advance.

regards,

jake

If you haven't noticed the person you are asking for pictures from is banned. He wont be getting back to you anytime soon.

drunkpunk19thGRU
If you haven't noticed the person you are asking for pictures from is banned. He wont be getting back to you anytime soon.

oops didn't notice it. thanks sir.

regards,

jake