OK, WHY DON'T I SEE WHY THIS A $800.00 M1905 BAYONET?

6th.MG.BN

Look over the bidding; it appears that three bidders really wanted this bayonet.

As for reason, sometimes it's something that isn't readily apparent.  Possibly the SN on this bayonet and maker matched a particular M1903 rifle.  Who knows.

too bad about this over inflation.  I've been wanting to pick up  one  of these bayonets with the canvas cover and leather tip to  put with my 1936 Springfield.  Here's a picture of my dad wearing his about 1936 in San Diego.  USMC of course

Steve

siego

Dadshooting1936.jpg

2 hours ago, thorin6 said:

Look over the bidding; it appears that three bidders really wanted this bayonet.

As for reason, sometimes it's something that isn't readily apparent.  Possibly the SN on this bayonet and maker matched a particular M1903 rifle.  Who knows.

It's crazy.

1 hour ago, themick said:

too bad about this over inflation.  I've been wanting to pick up  one  of these bayonets with the canvas cover and leather tip to  put with my 1936 Springfield.  Here's a picture of my dad wearing his about 1936 in San Diego.  USMC of course

Steve

siego

Dadshooting1936.jpg

Steve,

That's a great picture of your dad.

I don't think this should drive  up the prices but it does look like the canvas covered scabbards are getting more attention lately.

Good luck on your hunt for one.

Ken.

manayunkman

If they start selling for 800 on a regular basis then that would be a big price increase.

Are there enough people to sustain those prices?

I don’t think so but I could be wrong.

Most I have seen are running in the $300-$400 range, but earlier leather scabbards tend to be a little more.  Just my observations.  SKIP

I have been watching several M1905 bayonets and scabbards on eBay and am amazed at the asking prices. I'm glad that I built my collection when prices were more reasonable. This bayonet, in my opinion, is only about $500 over priced, give or take.

There is s leather scabbard without bayonet for sale on eBay now.  Dated 1909. It's a nice condition scabbard no doubt about that but the seller is asking $500 on a buy now. In my opinion that's only about $300 over priced.  Of course, many of these "Buy Now" items have been sitting there for weeks or even months. I do not understand were these sellers get their prices, unless they are fishing for suckers?