Revolutionary War Bayonet

27Division18

27Division18

I am hoping to determine the nationality and model of this bayonet. I am told it dates to the period of the American Revolution. 

IMG_6397.JPG

IMG_6398.JPG

IMG_6399.JPG

IMG_6400.JPG

IMG_6401.JPG

Widukind1971

Hi 27Division18.

I am no expert in socket bayonets, and for a correct determination I need the exact sizes, but the first thing to me that comes in mind is British.

First picture which I send you is my own Brown Bess socket bayonet. It has a similar Mortise (Zig Zag), the blade looks also a bit triangular etc. Mine was indeed standard issue for the British soldiers during the American Revolution.

Second photo is from the book British & Commonwealth Bayonets from Skennerton and shows about the same markings. These markings are British. 

Again, for good determination I need the total lenght of the bayonet and the inner size of the socket.

Bert

A321563C-F266-4EA2-91EF-30563C3CE263.jpeg

1F65F74C-14E5-4E43-B800-761F6A59E3A2.jpeg

27Division18
1 hour ago, Widukind1971 said:

Hi 27Division18.

I am no expert in socket bayonets, and for a correct determination I need the exact sizes, but the first thing to me that comes in mind is British.

First picture which I send you is my own Brown Bess socket bayonet. It has a similar Mortise (Zig Zag), the blade looks also a bit triangular etc. Mine was indeed standard issue for the British soldiers during the American Revolution.

Second photo is from the book British & Commonwealth Bayonets from Skennerton and shows about the same markings. These markings are British. 

Again, for good determination I need the total lenght of the bayonet and the inner size of the socket.

Bert

A321563C-F266-4EA2-91EF-30563C3CE263.jpeg

1F65F74C-14E5-4E43-B800-761F6A59E3A2.jpeg

Hello. The overall length of the bayonet is approx 16 inches. The blade is approx 11 1/2 inches and the diameter of the socket is a bit less than 1 inch. Thanks for your assistance!

If it has a Revolutionary War tie, it appears to be Hessian. Dutch/Germanic. I found this link.

Marv

Widukind1971

I have to agree with Marv. I got this info from the book ‘Swords and Blades of the American Revolution’ by Neumann.

DE72DAE7-1252-4DDB-900C-9FD89E7631DD.jpeg

56360BA0-584C-4324-A147-1FCBA8139ACF.jpeg

• 1 year later...

The information from Hardin and Neumann is good. Contemporary terminology would classify these as a Short Shank Dutch/Liege Socket Bayonet.  The Dutch were leading arms exporters during the 17th and 18th Centuries. As a consequence, the term “Dutch” was loosely applied to arms exported by the Dutch, most of which were made elsewhere (esp. Liège and the German States). These came to America during both the French and Indian War and the Revolutionary War. There is more info on my site.