Advice on Removing Paint on Web Gear

manifestdestiny

manifestdestiny

I just picked up a cartridge belt that is complete and otherwise in good shape. Unfortunately, one side of the cartridge belt has some pretty substantial black paint stains on it.

I was able to get it extremely cheap, and I'd like to know if there is anything that I can do to at least remove some of the staining. The issue is not necessarily the hardened coat left by the paint (I am fairly certain that I can chip that off)...its whats left underneath? 

Other than goo-gone or something of that nature, is there anything that y'all would recommend me trying?

I have attached some pictures so y'all can see what I'm dealing with

IMG_1961.jpg

IMG_1962.jpg

IMG_1963.jpg

Blacksmith

With all due respect, my recommendation is don't.

It may be something worth experimenting with, if it was a non-porous hard surface.

Being fabric, I can't think of anything you could use that wouldn't make it worse - leave an oily residue, etc.

Is what it is, at this point.

manifestdestiny
4 hours ago, Blacksmith said:

With all due respect, my recommendation is don't.

It may be something worth experimenting with, if it was a non-porous hard surface.

Being fabric, I can't think of anything you could use that wouldn't make it worse - leave an oily residue, etc.

Is what it is, at this point.

Thank you very much for the reply. I figured as much, but part of me hoped that there was some magical process of removing stuff like this that I was not privy to. For the cost of $15, I didn't have the heart to let something that is in otherwise good condition go to the trash pile or something along those lines.

Belts “ condition” is compromised regardless so you might try Wal-Mart brand Carb.  or brake cleaner, cheap at buck  97 a can. Remove built up paint, get old stiff brush, outside on board, spray cleaner and scrub. You will be surprised.

If you're gonna do it, I'd chip off all the thick parts down to the weave and then go at it. Acetone is fairly benign - it was regulation for the AAF depot to scrub flight jackets with it prior to redye.

Not saying it's benign on everything but on textiles I wouldn't have an issue trying it. Lacquer thinner will likely just make it bleed more into the fabric.

JMO,

D