Ammo Can Markings

kfields

I purchase these older cans when I see them and the price is right. Something I use to store my Garand ammo in. I pulled this can out this afternoon as I plan on doing some shooting this week. Just curious if someone could decipher the stencil markings. None on the sides, just on the lid. Thank you  Kim

IMG_20210706_195230836~2.jpg

IMG_20210706_195224015~2.jpg

IMG_20210706_195322723.jpg

IMG_20210706_195250451.jpg

mohawkALSE

I know the first line of it is showing its a combat mix, so was linked or belted ammo for a machine gun.  The belts were loaded 4 Ball Cartridges 30cal M2 and then 1 tracer 30 cal M1, or what would be called a 4 to 1 mix, every fifth round a tracer.   The handle part appears to be the lot number of the ammo,  and I cant really make out the last row other than the 30 cal part.

The handle translation as I can see,“ repacked Utah Arsenal, Belted, 83,xxx” (lot number). Unusual as that info by reg should be inked or stenciled in yellow on the can side.

Thanks 91760. 

I thought it an unusual place to put those markings as well. Seems like a difficult place to stencil for the stenciler. Not that I've seen a lot but I haven't seen another can marked this way . Kim

silverplate

That is a rare variation (of nomenclature markings) on a very common ammo box. I hope you plan on preserving it as is. Very cool!

Utah Ordnance Plant was in operation from March 1942 until December 1943, producing over 1.2 billion rounds of .30 caliber ammunition. The rounds in that box would have been packed in a cloth belt, and there would have been a repack card inside the box that identified the original lot numbers of the ball and tracer rounds placed in the belt. Here's my replica of what that repack card would've looked like for a Utah repacked lot.

101_2751.JPG

Actually I was going to take all my ammo cans out to the shed and give them a fresh OD coat of paint......just kidding!!

Silverplate - thank you for the further information.

Kim