WWI Era Officer's OS Cap

ken1967

Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd share my latest purchase. A really nice bullion insignia'd overseas cap.

Does anyone know when the army started piping their caps?

Ken

post-79-1174171652.jpgpost-79-1174171661.jpg

post-79-1174171672.jpgpost-79-1174171682.jpg

Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd share my latest purchase. A really nice bullion insignia'd overseas cap.

Does anyone know when the army started piping their caps?

Ken

Very nice -- I see that as Quartermaster Corps buff -- correct?

Overseas caps were authorized sometime about when US troops first arrived overseas when it was realized that the campaign hat was going to be unsuitable for trench warfare. (Contrary to what has been written some places, the early troops took thier hats over, but they were soon replaced.)

My guess if that AEF HQ authorized them as British and French troops were already wearing something similar.

The only insignia that EMs were authorized was a branch disc worn on the left front. Officers wore their rank and branch-colored piping as your shows. General officers wore gold bullion.

It was not til WW2 that other officers wore the gold/black piping and EMs were authorized the branch colored piping.

If you like. I can provide pix of several other colors.

In some divisions it was common to wear the SSI on the side of the cap too, but I have never seen any authorization for that.

Thanks for the great information Gil!

I'd love to see some pics of other caps and piping.

Ken

Well, here is lot #1:

Top to bottom --

General officer -- gold bullion

CPT -- probably black -- possibly staff

COL -- Artillery red

133_3363__2_.JPG

Well, here is lot #1:

Top to bottom --

General officer -- gold bullion

CPT -- probably black -- possibly staff

COL -- Artillery red

And a few more -- lot # 2

CPT -- Engineers

CPT -- QM Corps

1LT -- Infantry -- attributed to 332nd Infantry vet!

133_3364__2_.JPG

And a few more -- lot # 2

CPT -- Engineers

CPT -- QM Corps

1LT -- Infantry -- attributed to 332nd Infantry vet!

And, finally 4 more -- lot #3

Field Clerk (Have never seen this one documanted)

CPT - Artillery

CPT -- QMC (Same guy as previous pic -- he had 2 caps!)

1LT -- Infantry. Note this is "British Style" cap. Piping only appears on

little flap behind curtain. Note also buttons.

133_3365__2_.jpg

Hey Gil! Great caps by the way!!

Question though. Comparing my cap to yours I noticed my piping is below the edge of the cap folds where yours appear to be piped along the edges. Any idea on this?

Gil,

Great hats, I have a special fondness for WW1 officer's piped hats too! I especially covet your Field Clerk... I think that is the 44th commandment; thou shalt not covet thy neighbors hat... Oh well I'm a sinner.

Anyway, Ken, one of the things that appeals to me about WW1 is the lack of standardization. You could collect WW1 for ever and never come across all the different, and sometimes really wierd, variations.

The placement of the piping was based on the fancy of the officer purchasing it and the skills/methods of the tailors making the hats.

Cheers!

Chris

Hey Gil! Great caps by the way!!

Question though. Comparing my cap to yours I noticed my piping is below the edge of the cap folds where yours appear to be piped along the edges. Any idea on this?

Gil,

Great hats, I have a special fondness for WW1 officer's piped hats too! I especially covet your Field Clerk... I think that is the 44th commandment; thou shalt not covet thy neighbors hat... Oh well I'm a sinner.

Anyway, Ken, one of the things that appeals to me about WW1 is the lack of standardization. You could collect WW1 for ever and never come across all the different, and sometimes really wierd, variations.

The placement of the piping was based on the fancy of the officer purchasing it and the skills/methods of the tailors making the hats.

Cheers!

Chris

I would agree -- My "staff" and my Engineer are sewn to the front. My Infantry 1LT is blue wool folded and sewn to the backsode of the curtain. Others appear to be flat braid while other yet are piping with a flap hidden behind the curtain.