Does anyone have pictures of one of these Dewey Medals?

usmedalman

usmedalman

The Dewey Medal book that Allen Menke and I are writing is almost ready to go to our editor and I am trying to tie up a loose end. Need a shot of the naming and reverse to any one of this sailors: W.T. Baxter, M.J. Burke, C.E. Child, R.C. Cotton, C.A. Radley, C. Wilson, W. Ramsey and A.A. Kidd. They were all part of the crew of Monocacy taken by Dewey to fill out his crews and they appear to have gone to Olympia. Since these were a temporary draft, I would like to be able to confirm that they received a Dewey Medal to the Olympia or another of Dewey's ships.

I know this is a long shot, but just hope someone has one of these.

Thanks in advance for your help. 

• 6 months later...

Here,s some pics from a friend of mine....Captain Vernon Gridley's Dewey Medal ...original box, ribbon as well. It took him 10 years to locate and purchase this historic medal. It was purchases from an antique dealer who purchased it from a relative of Gridley's.

Gridley Grouping 1.jpg

Gridley Grouping 4.jpg

Gridley Grouping 6.jpg

Gridley Grouping 7.jpg

Gridley Grouping 8.jpg

Gridley Grouping 9.jpg

Gridley Grouping 5.jpg

Gridley Grouping 3.jpg

Gridley Grouping 2.jpg

2 hours ago, 268th C.A. said:

Now that's an awesome piece of history ! 

Indeed.  Sad that Gridley's Battle of Manila Bay Medal was posthumously awarded since he died within a month of the May 1, 1898, Battle of Manila Bay, which many historians regard as the pivotal event that made the USA a superpower overnight with a navy regarded as second to none.   The chain of command for the first shot in the first major battle of the Spanish American War, on  Asiatic Squadron (then) Commodore George Dewey's order matter of factly uttered,  "You may fire when you are ready, Gridley" , was passed from Gridley to the forward main battery 8" gun turret captain to the starboard gun captain who aimed the gun and pulled the lanyard.  

• 2 years later...

Hello, my father and I found this interesting medal.  It was found in Mexico in 1999 when an old family house was demolished.  The house was built in the 1900s. It was found in the mud blocks.  From the way it was placed it is understood that they placed it when they built the house.  I don't know anything else about it except that it has an interesting provenance.  will have some value or interest for collectors.

IMG_20240216_154105412.jpg

IMG_20240216_154056823.jpg

Your medal planchet is the bottom portion of one of the MANY souvenir medals and badges produced after the battle during “Dewey Mania”  in the late 1890’s.  As this planchet is rather “generic” , the now missing ribbon/top bar would have provided some info as to what exactly it was for (e.g. a parade, “Dewey Day” in some city, etc).  
It certainly has value, but very modest.  If I saw it at a flea market, I’d pay $5 and hope to sell for $10 to $15.

Monetary value aside, it has a cool history re: how you found it.  You should just keep it.  

AcharisJT

Like KurtA mentioned, very cool how it was found. Images attached are from worthpoint and are not exact, but get you an idea of what is missing from on top. 

1_67bc6fbdca06f2bf163efeef0328388e.jpg

1_67bc6fbdca06f2bf163efeef0328388e (1).jpg

45 minutes ago, AcharisJT said:

Like KurtA mentioned, very cool how it was found. Images attached are from worthpoint and are not exact, but get you an idea of what is missing from on top. 

1_67bc6fbdca06f2bf163efeef0328388e.jpg

1_67bc6fbdca06f2bf163efeef0328388e (1).jpg

That’s a really nice example.  The top bar being a ship really “makes” it.   Unfortunately, if the planchet is missing that top bar, there is minimal chance of finding a replacement.   

aerialbridge

Outstanding.  The entire country was united in "Dewey Mania" for a few years after the Battle of Manila Bay.  Dewey began a run for the 1900  presidential election but withdrew and endorsed President William McKinley. He served on the General Board of the United States Navy  from 1900 until his death in 1917

a-more-sweeping-and-dramatic-landscaped-oil-painting-of-dewey-with-the-crew-of-the-olympia-looking-down-the-spanish-fleet  MARKED2.jpg

aerialbridge

The accurate period painting, above, of the First Shot at Manila Bay being fired by the starboard gun on Turret 1 is the best illustration of the "chain of command" being executed in battle ever rendered.   It even shows Bugler Mitchell holding his horn, right after he had sounded the call for the squadron to commence firing  on an old, worn and battered bugle that he had acquired from an English bugler who had bought it in Hong Kong. The bugle call commenced the firing of Olympia's guns (and so the squadron's) as well as the call to cease firing several hours later. Mitchell served in the Navy more than 25 years and retired on August 13, 1924 as a Chief Boatswain's Mate. In January 1917, he sounded taps at the Arlington funeral of Admiral Dewey.  

NH 59627.jpg

Commence firing.png

pennsylvaniaboy

It has been a few years since I posted due to moving but I want to extend an invitation to forum members to visit the Independence Seaport Museum this year. In addition to Dewey's flagship Olympia (we just finished 100k in work to her hull), you can also view our museum.

On March 22nd, we will be opening a new introductory exhibit that includes a section of Dewey-mania items. As many of you know, Dewey and Olympia took some time to return to the United States and in the meantime, businesses went to town producing all manner of items to celebrate the man, the ship and the battle. We will be filling an area of the exhibit with the needle cases, china, prints and other items from that time. We also will be showing, perhaps for the first time ever, the Seaport Museum's collection of Dewey medals:

·         Mount Cloud Lord (1873-1944), Fireman 1st Class.

·         Edward L. Poor (1876-1917), Apprentice 1st Class.

·         Conrad W. Llunngquist (1867-1924), Chief Gunner’s Mate.

·         Joseph L. Stickney ( unknown ) Voluntary Aide to Commodore Dewey.  

·         Benjamin P. Lamberton (1843-1912  Commander

www.phillyseaport.org

aerialbridge

That's a nice collection of Dewey Medals for any museum,  Stickney (1848-1907), a USNA graduate who resigned his commission to become a war correspondent (and wrote a few books on the war and Dewey's bio),  and Lamberton's  being particularly historic.  I,  for one,  am looking forward to when John and Allen's book on the Dewey Medal (and other Navy medals of the Spanish American War) is published and available for purchase.    I know this "must have" book  for serious US medal collectors,  written by two of the luminaries on the subject, will have been worth the wait.    A spot on my coffee table awaits it, right next to the candy orange slices, to keep the scurvy away, and the brandy for medicinal purposes.    Seems to me, it would be a natural for the Independence Seaport Museum, home of USS Olympia and at least 5 Dewey medals,  to stock  John and Allen's book in their Gift Shop when it's published.    A win-win-win,  for the museum, history and the hobby of medal collecting.    

pennsylvaniaboy

Absolutely, we would want to have it in our store! Hoping it has come out or will so in the near future.