Mosin (Nagant) M1891 or M1901 Bayonet made by Fayette R. Plumb

Widukind1971

Widukind1971

I have mentioned this earlier on another forum but I think it's interesting. Therefor I hope I am allowed to post it again on this forum.

In the books of Hardin (M1901) and Cunningham (M1891) two manufacturers are named who made the American Mosin bayonet: Remington and Westinghouse.

In my possession is an American made Mosin bayonet from a third manufacturer (or sub-contractor) : Fayette R. Plumb. 

This is not one of those sudden discoveries which make us all feel uncomfortable. The bayonet was actually recognised a long time ago. If you have Kiesling volume one or the big book by Kiesling you will see that he already in 1972 made a drawing of this Plumb bayonet. Drawing 252. But the bayonet he used to draw, didn't have Plumb completely on it. Just '..umb' and a '5'. So he probably didn't know what to make of it. At least he didn't mention it in his text. But with this Kiesling drawing it is certain that this isn't a new find. It was already there. 

The umb is Plumb and the 5 is 1915. Plumb 1915.  

On the internet I found that there should be some info in the book "Allied Rifle Contracts in America". I don't have the book but I am interested if there is something in it. 

IMG_7645.JPG

IMG_7644.JPG

IMG_7646.jpg

IMG_7647.jpg

IMG_7640.JPG

IMG_7641.JPG

IMG_7642.JPG

Widukind1971

Since I have quite a few of the original bayonets which were drawn by Paul, chances are that this is the actual bayonet he drew in 1972. 

Widukind1971-Most interesting, never heard of "PLUMB" making M1891 Mosin-Nagant bayonets. Thanks for the info.  SKIP

Widukind1971

Thank you Skip. I really hope there is more information out there. I am especially curious about the information in the book.

Bert

Doctorofwar

According to the book “Allied Rifle Contracts in America” Fayette R. Plumb made 450,000 Model 1891 Mosin Nagant bayonets for the Imperial Russian government 1915-16.  These were in addition to the bayonets made for the rifle contracts by NEW and REM-UMC.  
Plumb also made bayonets for the Belgian and Serbian government during this time frame.  I have a Plumb made and marked Serbian contract M1899 Mauser bayonet in my collection.  Both it and your Plumb marked M1891 bayonet are rare today.  Thanks for sharing it.

Doctorofwar

I should clarify the contract for these bayonets was 1915 and was completed by 1916.  This supply of M1891 bayonets  “provided a ready supply to make up for battlefield losses”.  

Widukind1971

Thank you so much for this info Doctorofwar. This is what I was looking for.

That being said, I know of only three examples of this bayonet ever and I am 50 years old and I am collecting since I was 6. Cunningham and Hardin don't mention the manufacturer in their books. Hardin wrote his in 1964. This means that 450.000 bayonets went missing in 48 years if this number is correct. Even if they were all sent to Russia and mixed with the Russian bayonets - which they were not - more would be found.  My empirical gut feeling ;-) tells me that something is very wrong with this figure. Nevertheless, I am very grateful for the information you provided. 

Bert

EmperorWangDong

Interesting! I have seen both New England Westinghouse and Remington Armory US made Mosin rifles, but had no idea any bayonets were made for them in the US.

If it hadn't been for the date of 1915, I might have thought these were made for US troops who did use some M91 rifles for WW1 train up or, the US incursion into Russia in 1919. SKIP

Widukind1971

That incursion into Russia is still possible, isn’t it? But 450.000 bayonets would be a little too much for that purpose I guess. 

Only thing I can think of is that they sent unmarked bayonets to Russia. But why is mine marked then? Or they were planning to make 450.000 bayonets but never did. Or we are talking about 450.000 rifles instead of 450.000 bayonets. Or….

Well, plenty to think off and figure out. 

A very interesting discussion of these US made bayonets that were made under contract to the Russians.  Let's see where it takes us...