'Sarge' Booker has passed away 6/3/21

gwb123

It has been reported on the ASMIC Facebook page that our contributor Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California ([email protected]) has passed away.  On here he was member hhbooker, with a significant 9,329 posts.

I did not know Mr. Booker personally, but he seemed to be knowledgable on some of the most unique and arcane topics in our hobby.

He was also a prolific cataloger of pamphlets, flyers and other long forgotten documents that captured information on US military insignia. 

I hope those who knew him better will post on this thread.

I never met Sarge in person but at one time Tom Neir and I started talking about Massachusetts LSM's and Sarge was also interested - He provided quite a few sketches and ink drawings for us to use in an JOMSA article - A good man who "Gave" to our hobby.

R.I.P. Sarge

Bill

Bob Hudson
19 minutes ago, gwb123 said:

prolific cataloger of pamphlets, flyers and other long forgotten documents that captured information on US military insignia. 

When we started the forum he posted hundreds of such documents he had digitized. Here's links to some of this large archive he preserved:

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=site:usmilitariaforum.com+hhbooker2&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Sadly, a lot of people never got to meet him, but he left behind a large legacy of information, ranging from the most obscure to the common. He dedicated the majority of his life to the preservation of the knowledge of militaria. He will be missed. 

Salvage Sailor

Herbert Booker 1959 at Camp Casey, Korea. 31st Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division.

Sarge Booker 001 1959.jpg

Herb was a friend and neighbor of mine in La Crescenta many years ago.  He would borrow books from my military history library and digitize the references for newsletters and online publishing.  His place was always piled high with old club newsletters, asmic pubs, dusty tomes and old line art drawings of insignia & heraldry.

That was 'his thing', pulling together and copying everything he could that crossed his path, cataloging it, and publishing it for us, all at his own expense of time and treasure.  He and his wife also loved cats and they would follow Sarge about as he did his work.  He moved to Florida and kept on publishing for posterity.

Herb Booker.jpg

I know he admired me and often called me 'the real deal' but Sarge, you sir, you are 'the Real Deal'

PS Members - I've had many of his topics pinned to the top of the pertinent sections of the Ranks and Rates boards

US Navy Ranks and Rates Reference Topics - the Booker threads

U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey

1914 United States Public Health Service

Warrant Officer Ranks

1851 to 1959 Army of the United States Chevrons

1902 - 1920 Army of the United States chevrons

U.S.M.C. Korean made painted brass rank chevrons

U.S.M.C. Chevrons

Proud Kraut

Very sad to read this. He preserved and shared so many informations. Greetings and Salutations & Rest in Peace!

I remember him generously filling the forum with reference materials that will reside here for collectors now and in the future. A wonderful legacy to our hobby 

stratasfan

Very sad to hear, as the idea of free information is sadly being lost.

aerialbridge

RIP,   never met him but he was a prolific contributor and always seemed glad to take the time to scan, write, post and share.  If you hear of the time and place of a memorial service here in So Cal., please post.   Happy trails to him .

normaninvasion

Sad to hear. I remember getting lost on his archives, just massive amounts of  images from long ago. Nice to have someone freely share all that info.

hardstripe

Sorry to hear that Sarge Booker has passed on. I have talked to him by phone or email many times and he has helped me organize my collection. Remember the adage, "Old soldiers never die, they just fade away." Although Sarge is gone, his image and research that he provided to this forum and to many individual collectors will never fade.

I communicated several times with Sarge Booker over the years and always found him to be so anxious to assist in any way he could. He definitely contributed to the USMF and our passion. And it was his passion as well. RIP.

The Meatcan

RIP Sarge and condolences to his family.

I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person but, like many others have noted, I traded emails with Sarge and was always impressed by his willingness to share info and his enthusiasm for doing so.

Terry

Very saddened to hear this, a most notable and respected member of the community, my sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

His Iconic late 50s Portrait, I guess in Basic with the 2nd Armored Division at Hood, and he was a Squad Leader.

post-32632-0-06418600-1517282885_thumb.jpg

Salvage Sailor
On 7/7/2021 at 4:23 PM, patches said:

His Iconic late 50s Portrait, I guess in Basic with the 2nd Armored Division at Hood, and he was a Squad Leader.

post-32632-0-06418600-1517282885_thumb.jpg

Here is a color photograph taken in 1959 at Fort Hood, Texas (66th Armored Regiment, 2nd Armored Division "Hell On Wheels") of a handsome young private who was an acting corporal seen here wearing the patch over his left pocket if a pocket would have been there, instead of on the left sleeve. That was PVT (E-2) Herbert Hillary Booker II (underage enlistment, 16).

From an April 2008 post on the forum from Sarge in reply to USMF Administrator BUGME

BUGME:  I can start sending you scans from older militaria booklets, brochures, catalogues, etc., from one Wisconsinite to another Wisconsinite.  I was born in Wauwatosa when it was not part of Milwaukee - my older brother and our younger sister were both born in Manitowoc.  My grandmother was from a Menominee Tribe in Shawano and was a French-speaking Indian, but never a princess, it was probably her father who was full-blood. One time an Indian was walking back from town and someone stopped and asked him if he were a full;-blood Indian and he replied no, he was a pint short as he was returning from the blood bank!

Sarge Booker 001 1959.jpg

I was in Wisconsin last in 1961 when I registered with the Selective Service System in Manitowoc and scolded why I did not register earlier, replied I was serving in the Army of the United States at Camp Casey, Korea with the 31st Infantry Regt., 7th Infantry Div., her face went red and asked why I did not say so, but she held the floor before that. I enlisted at age 16 in early 1959.

Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California (hhbooker)

• 2 weeks later...
RustyCanteen

Truly sad news to hear. 'Sarge' Booker was a tireless archivist, like many have said. Adding to that, he always brought enthusiasm to his postings. Although we never personally met, he always struck me as a very genuine and down to earth individual who was more than happy to share something old or new with anyone who needed it.

RIP

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...