Saginaw M1 Carbine With Winchester Barrel

1srelluc

I picked-up this Saginaw M1 carbine today in a trade. 3,32X,XXX serial (1943). Post-war rebuild.

It has a tiny Inter-American Import Co. CA import stamp on it (a subsidiary of the Old Sacramento Armory) so it was either imported from Israel or the PRC as they imported 7000 or so from the PRC and around 4K from Israel in the mid-80s. I've no idea which one it might be though a lot of the IDF carbines had the receiver serial stamped into the side of the buttstock.

The odd thing is that it has a Winchester barrel (no Saginaw stamp) that is both PW and W proofed and I can't find any info on Winchester supplying barrels (Free Barrel Issue Program) to Saginaw in that serial range so I suspect it's a replacement barrel. It's been on there for a while as the finish wear matches the receiver.....Likely replaced/refinished at the same time.

It has the typical mixed lot of parts:

SA (M2 cut) pot belly walnut stock/SA walnut handguard....It's in good shape with the only wart being a small chip out of a rivet hole in the handguard.

Winchester barrel/flat bolt/hammer.

Quality hardware slide/trigger group.

Post-war safety/mag catch/rear sight.

It's solid, shoots well, and fills my need for a "shooter" M1 Carbine. 

001 (2).JPG

1 hour ago, sundance said:

Very nice. Only problem is the price and availability of ammo (unless you banked some earlier).

I've three other carbines to feed so yeah, I'm well stocked. ;)

silverplate

Having a decent shooter is great, and even with mixed parts it's still a cool piece of WW2 history. Congrats!