Pre-WWII USN Wings variation?

PvtOsbourne

PvtOsbourne

Hi all,

I recently bought this wings at an auction, and would like some help trying to identify the period. Its slightly smaller and thinner than a 'regular wing' (last image with another wing for reference). Remains of a 'Sterling' mark close to the pin lock.

Thanks in advance for any comment.

USN Wings Front.jpg

USN Wings upper.jpg

USN Wings Back view.jpg

USN Wings Compare.jpg

rustywings

Hello Pvt Osborne and welcome to the Forum,

Unfortunately, I'm afraid the reason you haven't received a response from fellow Forum members after posting images of your purchase eleven hours ago is the fear of offending you with negative feedback. It's my opinion alone, your silver-toned Naval Aviator badge is a crude and poorly cast reproduction, which is too small, rough in appearance and the wrong color to be considered authentic. Please believe me when I say I'm not trying to belittle your posting. The reality is, most long term collectors, including myself, have made similar purchase mistakes before knowing fully what to look for in an authentic badge... 

PvtOsbourne
8 hours ago, rustywings said:

Hello Pvt Osborne and welcome to the Forum,

Unfortunately, I'm afraid the reason you haven't received a response from fellow Forum members after posting images of your purchase eleven hours ago is the fear of offending you with negative feedback. It's my opinion alone, your silver-toned Naval Aviator badge is a crude and poorly cast reproduction, which is too small, rough in appearance and the wrong color to be considered authentic. Please believe me when I say I'm not trying to belittle your posting. The reality is, most long term collectors, including myself, have made similar purchase mistakes before knowing fully what to look for in an authentic badge... 

Hi rustywings,

Thanks a lot for your response. I understand the fear of offending me but dont worry with that. I'm consider myself 'new' on the subject, so Im really willing to learn here. I would be lying if I didn't say that I considered it fake, but I preferred to ask here before anything else. Anyway, it was a bargain, so not a big deal (and now I understand why this item had few bids in the auction, haha)

Having that said, should I delete this post? 

Again, thanks! 

I say don't delete. Too many threads on the web are senseless and broken as posts have been removed due to embarrassment, remorse, or anger. The problem is others cannot learn when all of the examples and corrections are removed.

I had deleted my response stating they appears cast to me but am new to wings so chose not to post it. So your thread helped confirm my assessment and I learn a bit more.

You have the right head on your shoulders.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

So...My first thought is that it could be a 1927 version of the naval aviation observer badge. However, that badge was identical to the naval aviator (pilot) badge, except it was silver.