Sign in to follow this  
Polygon

Help with Early Army Summer Coat

Hey guys,

I came across this today at a local militaria show- it appears to be an early, pre-WW1 summer weight coat, similar to the M1910 in terms of construction but with some pretty unusual buttons. The buttons themselves appear to be the eagle/shield version used on many late 19th century uniforms until the advent of the redesigned blackened WW1 button.

The coat itself is unmarked, and uses small rings in order to hold the buttons in place. The shoulder straps are also of the tapered variety with a sewn "X" shape, and the collar has an interested reinforcement tab for the insignia.

Any thoughts on the buttons, period, or the model of the coat would be appreciated,

Thanks,

George

SummerCoat1.jpg

SummerCoat2.jpg

SummerCoat3.jpg

SummerCoat4.jpg

SummerCoat5.jpg

SummerCoat6.jpg

SummerCoat7.jpg

SummerCoat8.jpg

Hey guys,

I came across this today at a local militaria show- it appears to be an early, pre-WW1 summer weight coat, similar to the M1910 in terms of construction but with some pretty unusual buttons. The buttons themselves appear to be the eagle/shield version used on many late 19th century uniforms until the advent of the redesigned blackened WW1 button.

The coat itself is unmarked, and uses small rings in order to hold the buttons in place. The shoulder straps are also of the tapered variety with a sewn "X" shape, and the collar has an interested reinforcement tab for the insignia.

Any thoughts on the buttons, period, or the model of the coat would be appreciated,

Thanks,

George

SummerCoat1.jpg

SummerCoat2.jpg

SummerCoat3.jpg

SummerCoat4.jpg

SummerCoat5.jpg

SummerCoat6.jpg

SummerCoat7.jpg

SummerCoat8.jpg

I would guess that this is an early (ca. 1911 spec. coat -- I din't have immediate access to the spec. no. and date) The buttons are incorrect. They do indeed look like late Indian War/Spanish-America Are era general service buttons which have been blackened. m They are incorrect for this coat, as yu surmised.

The correct early version would be the style adopted in 1903 -- like the lined/rimmed 1912 style, but without the lines and rim. These were worn from 1903 to 1911 or later, depending on when the rimmed version came available.

I can provide pix as needed, if anyone so desires.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Please, feel free to post pics of these buttons- I would be interested in seeing more examples. I'm curious as to why these buttons were used for the coat even though they are incorrect as we both had judged. Using old stock perhaps, or done much later by a collector/dealer? Personally, I think someone blackened these Span-Am service buttons to blend more in with the type used on the M1910/11 coat.

Please, feel free to post pics of these buttons- I would be interested in seeing more examples. I'm curious as to why these buttons were used for the coat even though they are incorrect as we both had judged. Using old stock perhaps, or done much later by a collector/dealer? Personally, I think someone blackened these Span-Am service buttons to blend more in with the type used on the M1910/11 coat.

I suspect someone had a coat with no buttons and put on whatever they had handy.

Here's what it ought to look like. Thuis one is a really crisp ca 1911 coat.

133_3361__2_.JPG

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I suspect someone had a coat with no buttons and put on whatever they had handy.

Here's what it ought to look like. Thuis one is a really crisp ca 1911 coat.

And here's a closeup of the rimless M1902 button.

133_3362__2_.JPG

And here's a closeup of the rimless M1902 button.

Hi,

Thanks for the images, the coat I now I own is definitely a M1911 type with probably Span-Am era buttons. Interesting choice of buttons for the coat to say the least!

Hi,

Thanks for the images, the coat I now I own is definitely a M1911 type with probably Span-Am era buttons. Interesting choice of buttons for the coat to say the least!

I have run across SAW era buttons that were blackened before. I suspect that when the new regs came out, makers kept on using the old dies until the new ones came available. I assume they blackened them according to the new regs.

Thanks for sharing the photos and nice coats!

Here's my grandfathers coat he wore in 1918 as a young 2lt stationed down on the border with Mexico. He inked his name on the inside collar.

After my grandfather died in 1981, I received an envelope full of his WW1 insignia much of which ended up on this uniform. I never knew this coat existed until recently, when out of the blue my 85 year old aunt sent it to me in the mail! That was exciting!

The coat is very similar to the others posted here except for the gold officer trim at the sleeves. It also has the metal ring type affairs on back for the buttons. There are some other minor differences in the cut of the uniform vs what you guys have shown but nothing major.

post-60-1174264115.jpg

post-60-1174264159.jpg

A member of this fine site since December 16, 2006....Member # 60

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif
donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Thanks for sharing the photos and nice coats!

Here's my grandfathers coat he wore in 1918 as a young 2lt stationed down on the border with Mexico. He inked his name on the inside collar.

After my grandfather died in 1981, I received an envelope full of his WW1 insignia much of which ended up on this uniform. I never knew this coat existed until recently, when out of the blue my 85 year old aunt sent it to me in the mail! That was exciting!

The coat is very similar to the others posted here except for the gold officer trim at the sleeves. It also has the metal ring type affairs on back for the buttons. There are some other minor differences in the cut of the uniform vs what you guys have shown but nothing major.

post-60-1174264115.jpg

post-60-1174264159.jpg

Nice coat and provenance, I especially love the rifle insignia on the collar. For the most part, these coats were worn stateside and in tropical environment. Hence, during the First World War, the M1912/17/18 wool coats were predominant.

Good to see my thread encouraged others to post their earlier summer coats!