U.S. M5 bayonet

Widukind1971

Widukind1971

Hi there,

My name is Bert and I am fifty years old. I collect edged weapons. Among them are American edged weapons. Could you please help me identifying this M5 bayonet? Is seems to be an American but it's missing its markings and the pommel looks a little bit strange. Well, it looks a little bit like my Milpar M5 (of which the markings are applied backwards). The books of Cole, Cunningham, Brett, Kiesling and Carter didn't help me.  

I hope you can help me. Best regards

IMG_6388.JPG

IMG_6389.JPG

IMG_6390.JPG

IMG_6391.JPG

IMG_6392.JPG

IMG_6393.JPG

IMG_6394.JPG

IMG_6395.JPG

IMG_6396.JPG

IMG_6397.JPG

IMG_6398.JPG

IMG_9189.JPG

Hi Bert, Welcome to the forum.  I collect US bayonets and have a few M5s and M5A1s, 

Your M5 is very interesting.  There are several indications that this M5 was not made by US contractors.  I'm making this assumption based on some of the features of your bayonet which are not in conformity with US production. 

When I see an unmarked bayonet, there is an immediate assumption that it is not of US manufacture.   Or if it is, it is not one made for the US military.

When I see a welded pommel, that also says to me, "Not US".  The only welded pommel M5 I have seen is the Eickhorn M5A1.

There are two very subtle features that your bayonet has that are not found on US bayonets.  1, The little pin that secures the release lever, is a solid pin.  The US M5 and US M5A1 pin is made of thin rolled steel.  2, The spring on your M5 slants towards the rear...not too much, but enough for me to notice.  The M5A1 spring slants about 45 degrees, but not the M5.

It is unusual to find foreign made M5s. They usually made the M5A1.  However, I did find an unmarked Danish M5. That Gary Cunningham identified. He only had three pictures so I'll show them.  He said this bayonet came in a box of Danish M/62 bayonets, only a few were unmarked.  The pommel is not welded as is yours.

The grips on your bayonet are a little crude.  They don't fit well and in one of your pictures is appears that the diamond shapes do not run in a straight line, they curve a little.

A picture of the whole blade might help a little, but that would be only a small clue.  It would rule out some obvious shapes like Kiffee or Turkish.

Thanks for showing us your bayonet.  I'm sure it is probably not US production, but you probably already knew that.

Marv

Sorry the pictures did not turn out the way I wanted.

Danish unmarked M5.jpg

Danish unmarked guard.jpg

Danish unmarked pommel.jpg

Widukind1971

Hi Marv,

Thank you very much. You have a keen eye for detail. You're spot on about the little pin and the spring. The grip looks the same to me but I'll take a better look shortly.

Thank you also for the photos of the unmarked Danish bayonet. The first time I see a similar one. 

These are the pictures you asked for:

IMG_9195.jpg

IMG_9196.jpg

Widukind1971

And this is the pommel of the Milpar of which I mentioned it had a (very) small resemblance with the welded pommel of the unmarked one. 

IMG_9197.JPG

Widukind1971

...and you're 100% right about the diamond shapes that do not run in a straight line. It's not the photo, it's the grip ;-). I didn't see it earlier. I do now.

Thank you.

Bert

Now that I see the blade.  I believe your M5 is one made by The Kiffe Co. and made in Japan, but without any mark.   Here's an Ebay link. I hope you can access it.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/114520575239

Notice the long false edge on the blade and the 90 degree stop.  I know of no other M5 like it, other than some of those from Turkey.

Marv

Marv, I believe you nailed. Kiffe tends to use the 90* cut off on most of their bayonets, and M3s. Surprised it's not stamped with there mark.  SKIP

Widukind1971

Hi Marv, Indeed I think you gave me the answer. A final question: is there anything to say about why it is unmarked? Is it a mistake or could there be any specific reason for it?

i'am happy to show mine made in germany 40years ago has one piece pommel and built very well004.JPG.d50f67c19a9ef7111111f2e1cffddb0d.JPG007.JPG.828fc67eaf2ee1ad86adce384b1a5648.JPG

003.JPG

006.JPG

008.JPG

10 hours ago, Widukind1971 said:

Hi Marv, Indeed I think you gave me the answer. A final question: is there anything to say about why it is unmarked? Is it a mistake or could there be any specific reason for it?

Since Kiffe wasn't a military contractor of bayonets, I would say that the lack of markings was simply an error. 

Marv

Widukind1971

Thank you Marv. And yet another example. Thank you for showing it Donald. 

Misfit45-

I "..have a few M5s and M5A1s...". Well I guess you must have quite a few! Your estimation was good in depth and, I am sure, as accurate as one can know 75 years later.

Great pics all!

hyrax222