Civilian Internees PTO

Jimnz

Hello

I was reading my old copy of Robles on US awards and have always been intrigued by his reference to the wear of the Asia-Pacific  ribbon (  at the point as the medal hadn't been struck)  by civilian internees in the Santo Thomas camp in the Philippines in WW2. This was authorized by an  order in May 1945 I assume by General MacArthur  so it is quite official. I'd like to know more about this. Does anyone have a copy of the order and a photo of  it's wear by an internee.  Especially did the the Army authorize the full size medal to be issued later? And if so I am assuming the WW2 Victory would not be issued as well. 

All the best

Jim

I've got a very real and interesting story about this. I was an ROTC cadet in 1985 when I ran across a senior officer at FT Leavenworth wearing a PTO ribbon. By 1985, there were very few Korean War veterans let alone WWII vets since a WWII veteran would have been around 65 years old at the time. This guy was only in his forties. The other unusual thing about his ribbons was a lack or other WWII ribbons.  I had to stop and ask him about his PTO ribbon. It turns out that his dad was a US officer and his mother was pregnant wit him when the Philippines fell. This guy was born in captivity! I was amazed by the story. The officer even pulled out a card that he evidently had to carry with him, showing that he was authorized to wear the ribbon.

Truth can be stranger than fiction.

Allan

Hi that's an amazing story. I wonder if he wore the medal or if only the ribbon was authorized. That card he carried would be interesting.

Thanks

Jim

20 hours ago, Allan H. said:

I've got a very real and interesting story about this. I was an ROTC cadet in 1985 when I ran across a senior officer at FT Leavenworth wearing a PTO ribbon. By 1985, there were very few Korean War veterans let alone WWII vets since a WWII veteran would have been around 65 years old at the time. This guy was only in his forties. The other unusual thing about his ribbons was a lack or other WWII ribbons.  I had to stop and ask him about his PTO ribbon. It turns out that his dad was a US officer and his mother was pregnant wit him when the Philippines fell. This guy was born in captivity! I was amazed by the story. The officer even pulled out a card that he evidently had to carry with him, showing that he was authorized to wear the ribbon.

Truth can be stranger than fiction.

Allan

What a remarkable coincidence and what a great story. 

Regards 

Herman 

• 2 weeks later...

Robles also states the Philippines Liberation Ribbon was authorised  ..is this documented as well?

The Philippines Liberation ribbon would have been awarded by the Philippines, so I would assume that they would have had to provide the order authorizing its wear. I can tell you with great certainty that the man that I met was not wearing a Philippine Liberation ribbon along with the PTO ribbon. I would assume that had he been authorized to wear it, he would have done so.

Allan

Thanks for that information...nothing beats actual eyes on experience..it makes sense the Philippines Liberation ribbon would not have been issued..

• 2 months later...

While looking for something completely unrelated, I stumbled across these two General Orders from the CBI Theater. One awards the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Service ribbon to civilians and war correspondents.

Kevin

India-Burma Theater GO #59 08 FEB 1946 - PTO Ribbon to War Correspondents copy.jpg

India-Burma Theater GO #66 14 FEB 1946 - PTO Ribbon to Civilians copy.jpg

That's very interesting....I wonder what  authority that order of 30th Jan 1945 contained? Was it specific to campaign ribbons ? I would have thought by then commanders in the field would have had local award authority.

Thanks for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there an official list of  categories of non-military groups or individuals who can qualify for the WW2 campaign medals? Like a list I saw for the WW1 Victory medal.

Especially do the members of the WW2 Army Transport Service receive military ribbons or the ribbons of the Merchant Marine?

Generally when an award is created, the criteria to receive it is published in that same order announcing the award. Obviously criteria can change at a later date (as it often does). Short of looking at all orders concerning a specific awards eligibility, I don't know if such a list exists for different categories of potential recipients.

As for the ATS, it was absorbed by the Army's Transportation Corps during WW2 so I would assume they would be eligible for Army awards and not Merchant Marine.

Looked up a few of the names of the people on the list of civilians awarded the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign ribbon. The ones I could find came up as entertainers who did shows in the Pacific in WW2.