Dick Winter's Croix de Guerre.

Jimnz

Hello Everybody

I was reading Wikipedia about Major Winters and was wondering if the French and Belgian Croix de Guerre they attribute to him are individual personal  awards or do they refer to fourragere (ie unit awards)  of these decorations? Or both?. I know Wiki is not always accurate and I doubt he had the Medal of Liberated France or the Belgian Commemorative Medal 1940-45..at least officially.

Thanks

Jim

LuftStalg1
16 hours ago, Jimnz said:

Not that this is of ANY help to you but if you find something on WIKI that is NOT correct and it has been there for at least 30 days please let me know.   Everything is reviewed by professionals world wide and if there is no PROOF of accuracy, with sources, then it is to be removed within 30 days.  I authored all the pages regarding the Air Mail Flyers Medal of Honor, among other things, and would be glad to have it taken care of.

Thanks for your reply.....I don't know much about how Wiki works behinds the scenes  it seems to be more rigorous than I imagined. It is quite plausible that Major Winters received both Croix de Guerre as personal awards...hope we can find out.

All the best

Jim.

I have also attempted to look into this question in the past. I have never found anything that shows the individual award of either the French or Belgian Croix de Guerre to Major Winters. I was unable to find a picture where he is wearing the ribbons or medals and there is no mention of these awards in any of the biographies written about him. The 506th as part of the 101st AB received the CdG as a unit award from both countries, but this does not allow for the medal or ribbon to be worn by individual members of the unit.  Many people, including Wikipedia editors, sometimes are confused by that rule. If anyone finds anything to prove he received either of these awards on an individual basis, I would be interested to know about it. 

yes that is what I thought as well.  I remember reading Fred Borsch's book on the Bronze Star and his comments on the scarcity of 101st personal awards.