Bailey Banks & Biddle of Philadelphia, PA: examples and patterns

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I'm considering these WW1 Dallas style wings.  The seller is advertising them as Eisenstadt wings, but after comparing them to wings in my reference books and to threads in this forum, they appear to be more like the Bailey, Banks & Biddle wings.   Weight is listed at 19.1 g .

I would appreciate any comments/opinions regarding these wing and if they appear to be authentic. 

Thanks,

Dan

Wing  s-l1600.jpg

Wings 2 s-l1600.jpg

Wings 3 s-l1600.jpg

Wings length s-l1600.jpg

I just saw this question.

This is a classic pattern.  Nothing untoward that I can see from the images shared.

I hope you got it!

Chris

Chris,

Thank you.  I thought they looked good, but I'm still new to this hobby.    Someone bought them for $1580,

Thanks,

Dan

• 1 year later...

Here is an example of a BB&B "Adams-style" wing.  The sterling mark was double stamped, the first time upside down and then the second right-side up.  This is a heavy 3" wing at just under 27 grams.

BB&B front.JPG

BB&B rear.JPG

Here is another legit 3" Adams style BB&B wing.  I am leaning towards the wing that inspired this post to be genuine, if possibly miss-marked to be silver instead of sterling.

BB&B front.JPG

BB&B rear.JPG

rathbonemuseum.com

Thanks to @5thwingmarty we have this spread from the 1923 BB&B catalog showing what was regulation. The Adams style "Airplane Pilot", the 1920 regulation US "Balloon Observer", the newly authorized 1921 "Airship Pilot" and the Naval aviator wings. Also shown are the small gold wings for Army flight instructor and US air mail pilot. 

1FA2B6AB-7A9A-410C-8BBE-05EE9857AF36_1_201_a.jpeg

A while back I contacted a library that has the original diagrams from BB&B and paid to have them scan the pages that showed any military insignia.  The following are scans of the original sketches that were mage by the folks at BB&B.

I wish I knew why they did the Observer half-wing twice, and whether the Paye n Baker diagram indicates that BB&B made the die for them, or if BB&B actually made the wings for P&B.  I also with the diagrams had been complete showing all the WWI varieties plus the later Adams-style and "Bronze" wing varieties.

Diagram page 18.jpg

Diagram page 20.jpg

Diagram page 22.jpg

Diagram page 25.jpg

Diagram page 27.jpg

Diagram page 28.jpg

Diagram page 37.jpg

Diagram page 46.jpg

Diagram page 63.jpg

Diagram page 64.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
5thwingmarty

I pulled the catalog out to look at the images again and it occurred to me to measure the wing images.

• 6205 Airplane Pilot - 3" (same as actual wing)
  • 6207 Balloon Observer - 3-3/32" 
  • 6209 Airship Pilot - 2-5/32"
  • 6211 Naval Aviator (regulation size) - 2-3/4" (same as is indicated for the one on Bob's website)
  • 6212 Naval Aviator miniature) - 1-1/2"
  • 6212A Army Flying Instructor - 1-1/2"
  • 6214 U.S. Aerial Mail - 2-9/16"

I don't know anyone who actually has a BB&B Balloon Observer wing or a miniature Airship Pilot. It is interesting that both the drawing in the earlier post and the catalog indicate BB&B had a miniature Airship Pilot wing.

If anyone has examples of the other wings shown please share the actual sizes.

rathbonemuseum.com

Full size BB&B marked Naval Aviator 18K (not common. Usually 14k or Bronze). Exactly 2 3/4" long. 11.6 grams.

90CBD361-A8B2-43D1-A3AD-1C49EE41FE31_1_105_c.jpeg

87D9C791-9292-4C1C-9593-CC7553570113_1_105_c.jpeg