USMC Frogskin Poncho...Tear Repair and How Best to Go About It?

pwcosol

Got the pictured poncho at my local swap meet this weekend, along with a green plastic canteen and two pairs of cotton green sateen fatigues (size 30 x 31 in.). The contract tag was dated -73- on one pair and -74- on the other. Regarding the poncho, only real issue is the approximately 1.25 inch tear and how to stabilize/repair it. Seems all the material is still present, but because of the thinness, do not know if a patch would be better or worse than stitching all over the area (and potentially weakening the fabric even more). Fortunately the material is relatively soft & pliable. Also, a bit confused on the first Marine Regiment and Battalion issue designation. Guidance most appreciated....Thx!

USMC Ponch1.JPG

USMC Ponch2.JPG

USMC Ponch3.JPG

USMC Ponch4.JPG

USMC Ponch5.JPG

USMC Ponch6.JPG

USMC Ponch7.JPG

I have one with a few tears, and I bought some clear "Tenacious Tape" by Gear Aid at the local REI store.  However, I then carefully folded up the poncho and stored it without applying the tape.  I might still do it if I need to display the set, but I only have $3 in the poncho (got it at an estate sale years ago) so my risk is pretty low.