Interesting USMC M1951 Entrenching Tool Cover

pwcosol

Recently acquired the pictured USMC marked entrenching tool cover. What I find interesting is the flat-panhead, "Lift-the-Dot" variant flap snap. In addition, the ink markings on the reverse are also unusual. Have only seen the odd type snap once before and on a web canteen cover many years ago. Just thought I would share as I find USMC 782 gear produced around the Korean War period to be largely eclipsed by that from both WW2 and the Vietnam War era.

M51 ETC 1953 a.JPG

M51 ETC 1953 b.JPG

M51 ETC 1953 c.JPG

M51 ETC 1953 d.JPG

M51 ETC 1953 e.JPG

2 hours ago, Justin said:

It looks like a Canadian made cover with a bogus USMC stamp, unfortunately. 

Well, after looking at this URL:

https://talesfromthesupplydepot.blog/2017/03/21/51-pattern-entrenching-tool-cover/

it appears I have been had! I have observed other pieces of field equipment bearing spurious Marine Corps markings, but unfortunately this one got by me completely. By the date, I figured it would accommodate the improved US M1951 entrenching tool and one fits the pouch perfectly....which is not the case with the earlier, M43 carriers. Thanks for your input...

No problem, real ones are pretty hard to find. 

To my understanding they were all made by the same company, A Reef & Co, in 1952 and 1953. 

I have 3 in my collection, all with bold spaced out stamps, marked as "U.S.M.C" 

The stamp is found on the inside of the flap marked as 

"Carrier, Intrenching, Tool,

Combination 

Stock Number 74-C-137

A. Reef & Co 1952"

Both 1952 and 1953 dated covers have the same stock number.

The construction is the same as WWII and standard Korean war M1910 shovel covers with unmarked lift dot snap. 

Hope that helps! 

• 3 weeks later...