How to remove layer of paint to view name

Chap15

Someone painted over the name on a chaplain's kit.

How can I remove the layer of paint without removing his name?

Thanks,

post-1429-1233877983.jpg

Will this also remove the name too?

Possibly, if not probably.

I would test the paint first, to see if it might just be water based latex - by trying water to dissolve it in a small corner.

IF it is oil-based paint, then whatever is underneath it is likely to dissolve for the better, if not whole, part when using strippers.

It just depends on what actual paint was used for the blacking out, and on what the writing was done with.

I always try a series of increasingly powerful solvents in situations like this - beginning with plain water, then going to stuff like isopropyl alcohol, then lemon juice, then mineral spirits and then at the very end something like acetone... gradually working the way up the chain of strength until something works - using a Q-tip on a tiny portion at a time.

Just from looking at the blacking out pigment - frankly, it appears as being something like permanent Magic Marker?

I would think that a paint stripper would take all off including the name.

Things I have used in the past are polishing compound, super fine wet and dry sand paper, pencil/ink erasers, and water. Sometimes real fine steel wool will work also. I've done this mostly on helmets and liners to bring out decals or paint but I don't know why it would not work on this case. Light pressure and a little at a time to see how it comes out.

I agree with bluehawk, it almost looks like felt pen.

Oh... I forgot something.

If you should happen to have a black light (UV lamp) handy, shine it on there.

Sometimes what is underneath will pop out through the upper layer of pigment.

• 1 month later...

The finished product.

I used "Goof Off".

I tried other items, but it didn't work. Goof off with a soft cloth. I believe I could have removed more, perhaps getting the letters more white.

But then, who knows.

Ah yes, I prayed all throughout the process.

Very interesting to see the C.C. He was Church of Christ. First time I've seen a denomination on a kit.

There is another C.C. kit in the G.C. Marshall lib. at VMI.

post-1429-1238300554.jpg