WWII USMC Camouflaged M1923 Cartridge Belt

otter42

otter42

At first I thought a kid did this, but bought it anyway, looked cool. But after looking at the age, I'm not sure if it's period done or not. Any idea what the stamp 76? Is? What's your opinion,  thanks Ken 

20210701_182020.jpg

20210701_181957.jpg

20210701_181939.jpg

20210701_181957.jpg

20210701_181915.jpg

20210701_181846.jpg

20210701_181608.jpg

Blacksmith

Personally, I’m unconvinced on the camo.  Most of the hand-camo I’ve seen on WWII USMC gear is single-color (black), and I’ve never seen three-color.  Impossible?  No, but it looks pretty fresh to me as well.  Will be interested to hear other opinions.

What I do quite like is the three-digit stenciled number on the back of it.  It looks to be correct period size and ‘font’ for a WWII Marine.  I don’t see “76”.  It appears to read “733” to me, of which, one translation is H-3-27.

So, IMHO, legit WWII USMC cartridge belt, issued, worn, etc, with - I suspect - a later “GI Joe” camo job.

ArchangelDM
2 hours ago, Blacksmith said:

Personally, I’m unconvinced on the camo.  Most of the hand-camo I’ve seen on WWII USMC gear is single-color (black), and I’ve never seen three-color.  Impossible?  No, but it looks pretty fresh to me as well.  Will be interested to hear other opinions.

What I do quite like is the three-digit stenciled number on the back of it.  It looks to be correct period size and ‘font’ for a WWII Marine.  I don’t see “76”.  It appears to read “733” to me, of which, one translation is H-3-27.

So, IMHO, legit WWII USMC cartridge belt, issued, worn, etc, with - I suspect - a later “GI Joe” camo job.

While marines did use black and brown as a camouflage paint, their patterns and colours go alot further than that. 

Early on raiders would use black paint and axel grease to dirty down their P41s and also black can be seen later on being used, but as the war progressed a lot of vehicle paint was added to field gear that included an array of greens and browns. 

Below is my thread of my examples of field gear that showcases a selection of painted items. This will give you some insight into the colour schemes used by them. 
I find the early gear to be of dark colours, black and brown and the later field gear to be more greens but that’s not the rule of thumb. 
It would be what was available on the day ! 

With regards to your piece I’m just not sure on the pattern, for me it looks like more of an ETO pattern of camo, marines favored the slap dash application by brush and rag as you will see in my thread. Yours looks more controlled and with a distinctive pattern style but not to say it’s not correct, there are bits I like about it. 

With regards to age of the paint I would have to have it under my scope and put it against my pieces. 
If I can be of anymore help let me know 

yours

Dean