Musette bag

StanDutchman

StanDutchman

Hello collectors,

I have finished my first US project.

I decided to go with a musette bag that is attached to the suspenders. I heard some people say the musette bag was only used by paratroopers, it this true?

Stan 

20210618_115446.jpg

20210618_115529.jpg

The M1936 Bag, Canvas, Field was widely used by paratroopers AND everyone else. It was used with a GP strap over the shoulder and attached to suspenders like you have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntssurplus

Musette bag was standard issue for paratroopers, armor, and motorized infantry. it was sometimes issued to artillery and and engineers too. It was really a pack meant for specialized non-infantry units, although many infantryman got their hands on them too. It ended up being issued on a unit by unit basis, so not uncommon to see any of the branches listed above with haversacks instead of musette bags. I’m guessing a lot of this fell onto whatever was in the supply room at the time. The musette bag was the newer of the two packs, so likely many more haversacks were available to be issued.

StanDutchman
7 hours ago, Lsparks said:

The M1936 Bag, Canvas, Field was widely used by paratroopers AND everyone else. It was used with a GP strap over the shoulder and attached to suspenders like you have it.

Thanks for your reply, I like to make my display historical correct. Is it better to use the haversack or should I just leave the musette bag on in your opinion?

Stan

StanDutchman
7 hours ago, tdogchristy90 said:

Very well done display. You should be proud. 

Thank you very much, nice to hear. 

StanDutchman
53 minutes ago, huntssurplus said:

Musette bag was standard issue for paratroopers, armor, and motorized infantry. it was sometimes issued to artillery and and engineers too. It was really a pack meant for specialized non-infantry units, although many infantryman got their hands on them too. It ended up being issued on a unit by unit basis, so not uncommon to see any of the branches listed above with haversacks instead of musette bags. I’m guessing a lot of this fell onto whatever was in the supply room at the time. The musette bag was the newer of the two packs, so likely many more haversacks were available to be issued.

Thanks for your reply, I want to have a historical correct display.  Is it better to use the haversack or should I just leave the musette bag on in your opinion?

Stan

huntssurplus

I think it depends on what you are looking to represent. Is it an infantryman? If so what division? What theater? What time frame? If your goal is to just have a display of items this is fine. If you want a display that represents what a soldier in the us army would have worn at some point during WW2, well this combo was definitely used. It all comes down to how specific you want to be.

StanDutchman
1 hour ago, huntssurplus said:

I think it depends on what you are looking to represent. Is it an infantryman? If so what division? What theater? What time frame? If your goal is to just have a display of items this is fine. If you want a display that represents what a soldier in the us army would have worn at some point during WW2, well this combo was definitely used. It all comes down to how specific you want to be.

Thanks for the help, I am quite new to collecting and a friend of mine offered me this Mannequin as a complete set for a very decent price. The only thing I added myself where the bayonet and the m1 helmet. I am not very sure with what it represents. In what time period was a set up like this worn? For me the most important thing is to have a correct set up, but I would like to know more about what time period it could be of course.

If you have any suggestions for what to change please let me know, opinions are always welcome. 

Stan

1 hour ago, huntssurplus said:

Stan

My dad was in an anti-tank company in the Pacific during the war.  But he was used as infantry most of the time, a BAR gunner. He had a great fondness for the musette bag. I'm pretty sure I remember him saying he used them in the field.  Not sure if it was as a pack or in addition to the pack.  I also don't recall if it was issued or just "acquired" somehow.  But he did have and use one. 

Mikie

268th C.A.

Gear was used in combat any way the GI wanted. How it was worn is no text book way once in combat. The GI found out quickly what worked for him and what did not. Worn with a GP sling, or directly to the web belt, on the combat suspenders it all worked. Make it  lighter and comfortable. The GIs preference. 

My Dad said when he landed at Guadal Canal  the very first thing he tossed was a T handle shovel and his gas mask. Dropped it on the beach. and never carried it after. 

Guadal Canal, New Guinea, Philippine campaigns.   1942 1945

Dad my avatar left. New Guinea US Army waring navy pants & shirt...that's another story. 

Your display looks great...

StanDutchman
On 7/2/2021 at 5:54 PM, mikie said:

My dad was in an anti-tank company in the Pacific during the war.  But he was used as infantry most of the time, a BAR gunner. He had a great fondness for the musette bag. I'm pretty sure I remember him saying he used them in the field.  Not sure if it was as a pack or in addition to the pack.  I also don't recall if it was issued or just "acquired" somehow.  But he did have and use one. 

Mikie

Thanks for your reply, very interesting. 

I heard more stories like this. I am sure they used what they liked the best and what was available at the time. Thanks for sharing your story.

Stan

StanDutchman
On 7/2/2021 at 6:16 PM, 268th C.A. said:

Gear was used in combat any way the GI wanted. How it was worn is no text book way once in combat. The GI found out quickly what worked for him and what did not. Worn with a GP sling, or directly to the web belt, on the combat suspenders it all worked. Make it  lighter and comfortable. The GIs preference. 

My Dad said when he landed at Guadal Canal  the very first thing he tossed was a T handle shovel and his gas mask. Dropped it on the beach. and never carried it after. 

Guadal Canal, New Guinea, Philippine campaigns.   1942 1945

Dad my avatar left. New Guinea US Army waring navy pants & shirt...that's another story. 

Your display looks great...

Thanks for sharing your story, I am sure soldiers used the equipment they way it worked for them. I like to make my display a little different because I think this is more realistic. I love combat used items and to create a set up that's not very common.

Stan

• 4 weeks later...