Willis & Geiger M-69D

phantomfixer

phantomfixer

Picked this up Sunday..sz42 M69D Transport jacket

Nice goatskin and mounton collar

A few dings, but all the zippers work

Leather is still soft and flexible

20210701_202406.jpg

Those are great jackets. Underrated for sure. I posted one years ago that belonged to Captain Wright of the USS Augusta during the time of the Atlantic Charter.  

I actually wore it in upstate NY to class once(against my better judgement) and it was very warm. Lost a button in a brief snowball fight between classes. Maybe that’s why I have a huge aversion to wearing old jackets. 
Nice score!

Dave

• 2 months later...

Do you have better pics of it? It looks different from the ones I have seen. It looks like this one has a full length zipper and a zipper pocket on the chest. Do you have pics of the label?

THanks,

Interesting variant. Have never seen that either. Wonder what years that was prevalent?

So mine has no tag but was from the family of Capt Wright who provided a letter and photocopy of a pic during the Atlantic Charter meeting on his ship.

Based on the pattern it is an F.  Since the Atlantic Charter was August, 1941 I'm wondering if this M-69F jacket was with him on board at the time or if he likely acquired it later?

Dave

On 9/29/2021 at 2:26 PM, jerry_k said:

It is another type (earlier???) of M69-F coat.

image.png.9ae57dbdddaab923c361347f6ab62a03.png

image.png.17051ffd674752499dc470a7b6379e4a.png

Based on other Willis & Geiger Inc. contracts (see below) it was a pre-war design, manufactured sometime between July 1940 and June 1941, for less than $50,000. The "F" version was a simplification of the "D", replacing the zippered front and pocket with buttons and slash pockets.

Willis Geiger Inc..jpg

pararaftanr2

Tom,

This list of war contracts only shows those that are over $50,000. Since the "D' model doesn't appear, it is assumed the order amount was below $50,000. The first contract shown for Willis & Geiger is from 7/40 in the amount of $244,000 and it has a lower contract number than shown on the label of the "D". The next contract shown, for $202,000, is from 6/41 and has a higher contract number.