Italian made Special Recon Bn scroll and 11th Airborne Division Recon Platoon

Longhorn92

Longhorn92

I posted these on Facebook but wanted to share here as well. 

The scroll I’d been after for a while. I put it in my OSS related riker.

The 11th Airborne Division Reconnaissance Platoon patch is pictured (not this one) and discussed in the Keller book and I think in the Angolia book, too. The Kellers have have good info that these were PI made but others believe they’re Japanese made.

Thanks for looking.

2F51B97A-6B27-4BF1-98F2-E3A7073A2B68.jpeg

CD871A5E-CB7D-435E-BA0C-162A3A0A2FFF.jpeg

9975140B-0577-4AC1-9081-58881C7267B9.jpeg

Joe,

You have done so well in your collecting journey and have picked up some STUNNING pieces. Guys could collect for a lifetime and never pick some of these rarities up.

I have always been fond of the 11th Recon patch. I originally believed these to be Japanese made during the occupation, but the Kellers make a strong case for them actually being Philippine made. If it is Philippine made, it has to be about the highest quality that i have ever seen come out of the islands.

Thanks for sharing these treasures.

Allan

Your 11th Recon is only the third one I have seen, and it is PRISTINE. I always wondered what it would look like in this condition, and you have answered the question. 

Great collection so which bank did you rob to be able to afford to buy these super rare patches?  Just kidding of course and I hope you don't mind but since we are on the subject of the bullion 11th Abn Div Reconnaissance Platoon patch I was checking my reference photographs and just realized that there might be  two variants of this rare patch.    I don't own the Keller book so I don't know if they illustrate both variants but I thought just in case I'd place both of their images on this thread.  So is this a variant or a very good reproduction?

11th Abn Div LRRP (2).jpg

11th Abn Div LRRP (1).jpg

11th Airborne Division Recon Platoon (2).jpg

11th Airborne Division Recon Platoon (1).jpg

Longhorn92

The first one I’ve never seen. The second is similar to the one pictured in both the Keller and Angolia books, and mine.

The one in the books, plus mine, have the same tannish backing. Some kind of medium weight cotton, maybe?