M-1 Garand… What do I have?

TheCrustyBosun

TheCrustyBosun

This rifle was my first purchase when I was 18. I had just returned from USCG boot camp where I carried a de-miled M-1. I had to have one. This one was converted to .308. It’s mixer but has always been a great shooter and I like it. I’ve always wondered if someone could make sense of the markings on the barrel.  There’s a lot going on there. (I understand the 7.62 NATO part) Thanks. 

61812477-9E92-49CE-B5E3-24B42B229D0F.jpeg

8A730F74-E54C-44A2-869C-1CEF1F90F443.jpeg

Looks like the barrel is dated 1952 (Month 1 or 12)....Information under the 7.62 NATO is likely manufacturing information and numbering....Bodes

4 minutes ago, Bodes said:

Looks like the barrel is dated 1952 (Month 1 or 12)....Information under the 7.62 NATO is likely manufacturing information and numbering....Bodes

Marked to fire the 7.62×51mm NATO ammunition....Bodes

If memory serves, the 7.62 NATO M11 marked barrels were from Pakistan. I can't remember if any came in as complete rifles. The M11 marked barrels are converted .30-'06 barrels sleeved with an chamber adapter like the Navy MK II Mod 0 rifles were to shoot 7.62 NATO. 

The 7.62 program was headed up by a man named Nat Kobitz. I had the honor to meet him at his house. He was very proud of this conversion program. At the completion of the program the Navy issued him a brand new original unissued Colt 1911-A1. Super nice guy.

Obituary

NAT KOBITZ - WWII Veteran, Aeronautical Engineer, Family Man, and Savoyard

Nat Kobitz had a long career in program management, direction of research, development, science and technology programs, ranging from the first Navy Ship to exceed 90 knots, directing the NAVSEA (Naval Seas Systems Command) Research & Development and Ship Design Research & Development programs, to the industrial program management of the Airframe of the Titan III missile, to the Navy's Bullpup program and the Air Force's Mace program.

Nat Kobitz was a proud WWII Veteran, who served in the Engineer Service Company, with the Specialty of Draftsman, until his Honorable Discharge from the US Army on May 12, 1947 (1582nd Engineer Service Company, Camp Stoneman, California), and was awarded the American Theater Ribbon & World War II Victory Medal.

As a civilian, he served the US Navy, at home and abroad, as Director of Advanced Technology Development & Assessment, Director of Research & Development, and, Program Manager for Advanced Ships/Foreign Shipbuilding.

In private industry, he was Vice President of Applied Graphics Technologies (Pre-press, Graphics & Archiving), President of the American Vector Corporation (Advanced Manufacturing Technology), Program Manager at the Martin Company (Missile, Aircraft and Space Systems & Operations Research), and, Engineer at the Cornell Aeronautical Laboratory (Fluid Mechanics, Operations Research, Wind Tunnel Testing, Auto Crash Safety).

Post Government retirement, he did extensive Consulting for clients such as Lockheed Martin, McDonnell Douglas, Piasecki Aircraft Corporation, CTC (Concurrent Technologies Corporation), and the Government Centers for Excellence.

Nat lent his expertise to Pro Bono work for the National Academy of Sciences, the Naval Studies Board/National Research Council, NAVSEA (Naval Sea Systems Command), Ripley-Burnell Industrial Consultants, Inc., and was often called as an Expert Witness for Automotive Accident Litigation.

Nat was educated at Drexel University, where he received his MSEM in Engineering Management & Operations Research. He did is undergraduate work at the Indiana Institute of Technology, where he received his BSAeE in Aeronautical Engineering. Nat held a Certificate from Harvard University in National & International Security, and a Diploma from Knolls Atomic Physics Lab in Nuclear Engineering. He was especially proud of being a graduate of the specialized accelerated academic program at Stuyvesant High School in New York City, that boasts 4 Nobel Laureates. He very often referred to himself as a Stuy Guy.

Nat was the recipient of multiple awards, and a member of a number of professional societies. He received the Navy Distinguished Civilian Service Medal, the Navy Superior Civilian Service Medal, and Two Nominations for Presidential Rank. He was an active member of ASNE (American Society of Naval Engineers), AIAA (American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics), the American Defense Preparedness Association, and SNAME (Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers).

A devoted family man, Nat was married to his wife, Cynthia, for almost 70 years, had 4 children, 9 grandchildren and 5 great-grandchildren. A connoisseur of the Arts, he was a proud Savoyard (all things Gilbert & Sullivan), and a lover of opera and the Broadway stage. These passions were passed down through many generations of family members, who he felt were his greatest legacy.

Nat Kobitz passed away peacefully, at the age of 92, in Baltimore, Maryland, on Sunday, April 5, 2020.

Just to be clear, that barrel was not a US Navy converted barrel, it would have been converted for/by Pakistan. 

My original comment above could be interpreted to read like I was saying you had a Navy barrel. 

TheCrustyBosun
10 minutes ago, M1Garandy said:

Just to be clear, that barrel was not a US Navy converted barrel, it would have been converted for/by Pakistan. 

My original comment above could be interpreted to read like I was saying you had a Navy barrel. 

Thanks. I understood what you meant. I have a Pakistani converted barrel. 

• 4 months later...
TheCrustyBosun

Took my “Pakistani” M-1 to the range today.  My friend’s family puts on two range days a year for Veterans and First Responders by invitation only. Always fun to see what people bring. Anyways, she’s dialed in and good to go!  Great shooting M-1. Killed some pumpkins with extreme prejudice at 200 yards which may or may not have been spiked with “something special”.  Safe shooting and good times experienced by all. 

Charlie Flick

Crusty:

It is nice to hear that your rifle got some exercise and was doing the job for you.

BTW, I thought that I should mention that one other version of the M-1 in 7.62mm.  Those were the rifles assembled by the Air Force armorers at Lackland AFB for competition in the 1960s.   Those guns were essentially National Match guns, were marked AFPG (Air Force Premium Grade) and had 7.62 markings on the barrel, but in a manner different from what your markings are.  See the example below.

Charlie

AFPG 7.62 barrel mark.JPG