M9 Bayonet Rubber Duck

Coogan

Recently got one of these, legit TASC marked, that was mounted on a M16A2 rubber duck.  I'm not finding a whole lot of info on M9 bayonet ducks so I don't know if this is rare, uncommon, or what.  Pics to follow tonight.

Not sure how rare in numbers made, but I used to collect M9's and have never actually seen one of the legit USGI rubber ducky versions in person. Just pictures on the internet.

Here they are...I'm guessing the Buck 188 commercial markings throws a curve.

IMG_0040.jpeg

IMG_0041.jpeg

IMG_0042.jpeg

IMG_0043.jpeg

IMG_0045.jpeg

IMG_0046.jpeg

So I am guessing that what I have is not a USGI rubber duck.  Anyone have any idea?

I believe it is USGI. It looks identical to others I have seen posted over the years. The commercial markings could be because a Buck civilian model got mixed in with GI bayonets (it would happen when a GI lost his issue M9 and bought a commercial one to turn in. He would pay for it anyway, and this way he avoided any additional punishment.) Or the training aids shop that produced the rubber duck had one brought in by an employee to use as the mold. Either way, the molded in numbers on the blade are the key. It is a neat piece.

21 hours ago, Slufstuff said:

I believe it is USGI. It looks identical to others I have seen posted over the years. The commercial markings could be because a Buck civilian model got mixed in with GI bayonets (it would happen when a GI lost his issue M9 and bought a commercial one to turn in. He would pay for it anyway, and this way he avoided any additional punishment.) Or the training aids shop that produced the rubber duck had one brought in by an employee to use as the mold. Either way, the molded in numbers on the blade are the key. It is a neat piece.

Thank you!  I didn't buy the bayonet, but the rifle came with it so this is a bonus.

As far as a commercial M9 making its way into the supply chain - that is 110% possible.  I personally know of a commercial Ka-Bar being turned in to me (unit armorer) when the issue piece was "misplaced" for a time.  I did not care as my count was right in the end but others may have had different outcomes when presenting a commercial variant given the same situation.  

Situations like this create a weird Ship of Theseus-esque conundrum for the future - did that commercial M9 become government issue if it remained in the supply chain?  Did that Ka-Bar in my situation do the same as I issued it out down the road?  Ahhh.....the possibilities for internet discussion and future fraud!