My great uncle's 506th grouping - and some questions

akriener

Hello everyone. Wanted to share the research and items I've found so far of my blood relation great uncle (grandma's brother). He was A Co., 1st BN, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne. His daughter has all his awards but was kind enough to send me photos of them.

I did have some questions though as I am confused by the amount of duplicate awards in some cases.

1. If a unit is awarded something, does that mean an individual is also eligible to get their own copy of the award to wear? Or do they have to be awarded individually?

2. I understand Oak Leaf Clusters are awarded to indicate subsequent versions of an award. I know for a fact he was awarded two Purple Hearts. Doesn't that mean he should have one ribbon bar and one Oak Leaf Cluster? Yet I am seeing two OLC on his ribbon.

3. Why are service stars used on campaign ribbons instead of OLC? Notice the European, African, Middle Eastern Campaign Medal ribbon bar has 4 stars and the arrowhead device.

4. Why would 3 Good Conduct Medals be awarded?

5. In what scenario would more than one CIB be awarded? I've included the document showing his initial award of that for his D-Day jump.

Thanks!

506a_company copy roster.jpg

Birth certificate.JPG

Courier interview page 1.jpg

Courier interview page 2.jpg

D-Day CIB page 1.PNG

D-Day CIB page 2.JPG

dilley.JPG

Draft card page 1.JPG

Draft card page 2.JPG

Enlistment record.JPG

Handwritten roster zoomed.JPG

Handwritten roster.jpg

Hospital record 1.JPG

Hospital record 2.JPG

IMG_20210630_090503073_HDR copy.jpg

IMG_20210630_090503073_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210630_090518597.jpg

IMG_20210630_090527319.jpg

IMG_20210630_090535295.jpg

IMG_20210630_090552111.jpg

IMG_20210630_090750890.jpg

Larry Dilley Military Service.JPG

Obituary.JPG

Service compensation page 1.JPG

Service compensation page 2.JPG

Nice grouping!

I will try and answer as best as I am able:

1. If a unit is awarded something, does that mean an individual is also eligible to get their own copy of the award to wear? Or do they have to be awarded individually?

A unit award is awarded to the entire unit. (Like the presidential unit citation or fourragère) you have to wear it when you are with the unit, and you have to remove it if you leave.

2. I understand Oak Leaf Clusters are awarded to indicate subsequent versions of an award. I know for a fact he was awarded two Purple Hearts. Doesn't that mean he should have one ribbon bar and one Oak Leaf Cluster? Yet I am seeing two OLC on his ribbon.

Yes, that is correct. the ribbon was supposed t count as the 1st one. The OLC the 2nd. There was a war on, so regs were not always followed.

3. Why are service stars used on campaign ribbons instead of OLC? Notice the European, African, Middle Eastern Campaign Medal ribbon bar has 4 stars and the arrowhead device.

The stars represent specific campaigns, not subsequent awards. the arrowhead (spearhead actually) would be for the Normandy Invasion.  The others would be

He never got caught. - but he was probably just awarded the one.  the bronze star x2, once was probably for the 1947 conversion of the CIB (if you had earned a CIB in WWII you were awarded a bronze star in 1947)

5. In what scenario would more than one CIB be awarded? I've included the document showing his initial award of that for his D-Day jump.

he wold have gotten one for 3 days (?) of combat.  But he would have only gotten one for all of WWII (the second award would have a star - if he saw action in Korea) he just had multiples for different uniforms.

WWIIinterviews

There is also a group on FB specifically about A/506th PIR you may want to look into. They may be able to provide more information.

19 minutes ago, Mr.Jerry said:

Nice grouping!

I will try and answer as best as I am able:

A unit award is awarded to the entire unit. (Like the presidential unit citation or fourragère) you have to wear it when you are with the unit, and you have to remove it if you leave.

Yes, that is correct. the ribbon was supposed t count as the 1st one. The OLC the 2nd. There was a war on, so regs were not always followed.

The stars represent specific campaigns, not subsequent awards. the arrowhead (spearhead actually) would be for the Normandy Invasion.  The others would be

He never got caught. - but he was probably just awarded the one.  the bronze star x2, once was probably for the 1947 conversion of the CIB (if you had earned a CIB in WWII you were awarded a bronze star in 1947)

he wold have gotten one for 3 days (?) of combat.  But he would have only gotten one for all of WWII (the second award would have a star - if he saw action in Korea) he just had multiples for different uniforms.

Hey thanks for your answer! Very helpful.

Makes sense, as he discharged in 1945.

6 minutes ago, WWIIinterviews said:

There is also a group on FB specifically about A/506th PIR you may want to look into. They may be able to provide more information.

I think I've been in contact with them.

They connected me to Bob Sink's daughter, Robin. She in turn connected me with a Phillip Russo who is writing a book on A/506 and was able to interview 20+ veterans from that unit over the past 10 years. He actually sent me the newspaper interview clippings and the closeup photo of my uncle yesterday.