Help Needed for verifying a Polar Bear Expedition Uniform

Hello! I am a bit new on having an account on this site but I do visit a few threads pretty frequently without an account. Been collecting militaria for about 10 years now and in the last 5 years I’ve primarily focused on items from the First World War period. I need some assistance regarding a uniform that has been offered to me in trade recently.

Since about 2018 when I first heard about the Russian and Siberian AEF I’ve been keen on getting a nice original wool tunic complete with an original patch. Just recently I missed one for sale but was offered an example by a collector in exchange for a tunic in my collection. I will be sure to add photos.

My largest concern is the actual patch itself. I have handled and owned multiple patched army uniforms and I understand there are a million variants for each patch depending on what the original owner wanted. This patch doesn't seem to follow the ones typically seen on Polar Bear Expedition uniforms (this thread explains that there were 4 theater made ones) but I am aware that there are handmade examples that exist of other unit patches, so I don’t want to rule that possibility out. 

The current owner of the tunic is located in the US and says he found it in a shop on the East Coast. He is an experienced collector which makes me doubt he has the intent of faking a patch himself. 

Besides the patch everything else does not seem irregular to me. Any help from any members will be greatly appreciated! I am also currently asking the owner to take some closer photos of the patch and stitching itself. 

If this example is deemed messed with I will still be actively searching for an example, so if anyone can point me in the right direction I am more than willing to trade/buy one. I have some really nice Imperial German items in my collection that I would be good with departing with!

CB7DB644-0D33-476D-A79E-1BB22DA26388.jpeg

EF18C102-CFC9-414E-B1F6-DAEE2FED4E07.jpeg

CC0C5187-04A0-42F2-A6BC-847A4EC8F27C.jpeg

CEC131EA-C6D2-4E1C-BA4B-F42C890F3B22.jpeg

1979C6A3-10DD-4D29-A892-34D35D9982E6.jpeg

If the seller / trader is an "experienced collector" of WWI US uniforms, as you say, it would not surprise me that he / she is a member here.

Sometimes it is difficult to tell good from bad from a photo.. this is not one of those times.  That patch is not even remotely close to being original.  (sorry!)

Ok thanks for the help! I will keep my eyes out for any that become available in the future! Best to have people cross check!

And @Shenkursk definitely knows about Polar Bear patches! He's who I've always asked about them in the past and so far he's known every type I've presented! :)

10 minutes ago, stratasfan said:

And @Shenkursk definitely knows about Polar Bear patches! He's who I've always asked about them in the past and so far he's known every type I've presented! :)

From the other similar threads and tunics out there they all seem to follow the same styles of patches (with that thread you had started being the big one where it was discussed in depth pretty well.) I think it would probably be best to hold out for a good complete one with a known patch style rather than make a mistake.

I did also find a singular patch for sale that seems to follow one of the known standard patch styles. It’s on Hayes Otoupalik’s website. I was PMed by a member in response to this forum that their site is good but I’ll attach an image of that patch as well for comparison. I’d prefer obtaining a nice original uniform with a patch but if this example is considered good I might procure it

6894DFC1-3197-4BDC-BF69-C9A65FF26D6A.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/18/2021 at 8:33 AM, Eric Queen said:

Bay State just sold a nice one

DSCN3269zz.jpg

Haha yep! I saw that one sell and I kicked myself for not being quick enough. They also just recently sold an nice 27th infantry Siberian AEF tunic too.

• 1 year later...

Greetings!

Remembered this thread I did and wanted to thank the members here who recommended I wait for a better example. Two years of patiently waiting and I finally scored a Polar Bear!

The items pictured are identified to Private Eugene H. Gitz of Milwaukee WI, who served in 4th Platoon of M Company, 339th Infantry Regiment during the Northern Russia campaign. One of 40 replacements from the 85th Division sent to M Company in late-September 1918, Pvt. Eugene would see out the entire campaign in Russia but suffered from a stutter and physical illness the rest of his life; both an unfortunate byproduct of his service. Outside of the military, Eugene would work as a shoemaker in Milwaukee until his death in June 1976.

IMG_3137.jpeg.47cb486afae1e8aca967b117a4847ab0.jpeg

IMG_3257.png.d84a6f436a5fa0420244c89b08387f77.png

IMG_3258.jpeg.92a01c2af1288fc7fb842aae9ef97acb.jpeg

IMG_3191.jpeg.7e48893cbe2f567fc2dfd057ab94d7e5.jpeg

Again, thank you all for the help! Pvt. Eugene’s 55 page diary is also available on Amazon. I will make a separate thread detailing his items soon.

best Regards,

-J.D.

8 hours ago, AxolotlHelmet said:

Beautiful uniform and congrats!

AxolotHelmet,

Appreciate it! 

Best Regards,

-J.D.

Wow, that is a gorgeous display. Your patience e sure paid off. If your going to own just one of these, cant imagine a nicer one. Congrats!

2 hours ago, warguy said:

Wow, that is a gorgeous display. Your patience e sure paid off. If your going to own just one of these, cant imagine a nicer one. Congrats!

To add a bit to Kevin's quote, if you are going to own one, Company M is the company to own to be certain. Beautiful looking display!   Scott

@ScottG and @warguy,

Thank you both for the kind remarks, I too am glad my patience paid off! Pvt. Eugene's items also came with several paper items which include original copies of orders addressed to Company M, an ANREF reunion decal and about a dozen photos of AEF troops in Russia. After talking with his family some, it is unclear whether or not the photos include Pvt. Eugene. There are also a number of items from Vladivostok including several copies of "Here and There with the 31st," the connection these have with Eugene is still unknown to me.

03DEC1918.jpg.023135d35b2e2509e18da29161c69fcb.jpg

31OCT1918.jpg.138ba2b4152cf0c5a0ef530b60cf0432.jpg

decal.jpg.f5c1b2f94157dd082ce6e1d6ac5c1ceb.jpg

18.jpg.20f24a5646f01897359db9165e13deab.jpg

9.jpg.4ad43f58dab91948c921a005304cd9a5.jpg

8.jpg.09685515ec7537d53a4e476caaa7d073.jpg

Best Regards,

-J.D.

• 2 weeks later...