Model of 1905 Bayonet Type I Leather Scabbard

Misfit 45

FINALLY!!  I got a 1905 type I leather scabbard.  They are so hard to find in good condition.  Now I can house my low serial number Model of 1905 bayonet and know that it is in the exact type of scabbard in which it was first issued.

The type I scabbard has a short throat, Krag type hanger, and the drain hole is located above the scabbard tip (dumb idea).  The wood from the scabbard body extends all the way to the throat opening. The type II scabbard uses an aluminum sleeve into which the bayonet is inserted.  All you need to know is in "Bayonet Points"  (google it).  The last photo shows the type II for comparison.

I hope you enjoy the pics.

Marv

IMG_3415.JPG

IMG_3417.JPG

IMG_3420.JPG

IMG_3421.JPG

IMG_3427.JPG

IMG_3419.JPG

I picked up one of these "short throat" leather scabbards several years ago.  I have not seen many of these and felt lucky to have found it.  You were fortunate to have acquired yours.

As a side note: the short throat Type I apparently had a very short life span.  I also have a Type II leather scabbard (long throat) with the same drain hole configuration and with the same  date stamp of 1906. So these short throat scabbards appear to have been produced for less than a year.

Congrats! Type 1 scabbards are very very hard to find as you well know. The condition is beautiful too!  I assume the bayonet is S.A. as the first year R.I.A.'s had no serial #.  Extremely nice early set! Thanks for showing these to us.

Steve

Marv- Great find, and thanks for showing. As everyone stated, the short throat Type 1 is hard to find, took me a lot of years.  SKIP