Tank Co. 169th Infantry patch

Old Marine

I figured out that this is a pocket patch for the Tank Company of the 169th Infantry.  According to what I’ve been able to find the 169th was deployed to Germany after the war.

My question, is this one of those regimental pocket patches?  Would something like this be authorized for local wear?  Or is it just a tailor shop souvenir kind of thing?  Is it German made?  

Any observations, comment or opinions would be appreciated.

thanks

96ADFF32-250C-4741-A6CF-43B45E7260C4.jpeg

6EDA2755-FE9B-41FB-B91D-95A4B36623FD.jpeg

During WW II, tank battalions (actually their companies) were attached to infantry regiment. A new FM came out in 1947 authorizing the official assignment of tank companies, to infantry regiments. 

There are several of these German made tank company patches, but yours is a more recent repro. For starters, none have that burlap backing. An original is attached for comparison. There were pocket/chest patches. locally made and authorized for local wear. Mine is GM. Yours? Computer made anywhere.

The 169th IR was assigned to the 43rd Infantry Div when the Div was sent to Germany in 1951, the Div returning to state control in 1954.  

ARMD TK CO, 169TH INF V1.jpg

Thank you.  That is exactly the information I was looking for and I confirms what I thought. Is your patch a small size too?  

thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

FT.Monmouth1943

Old Marine, I personally don’t have any problems with your patch. Seems pretty textbook for a 1950s German made patch. The stabilizer on the back is a little strange, but I don’t think it’s a big deal. The bevo-style  is very common with German made patches and they are often confused for modern computer guided pieces. Also, the “169th INF” embroidery looks very similar to the embroidery style seen on German made tour jackets.

- Jakob

FT.Monmouth1943

Here is a thread of German made patches, one of which is a very similar German made armored patch. Another is a German made TD patch I have that is of the same construction (minus the stabilizer on the back). Also attached is a tour jacket I used to own with the same style of embroidery. There are many variations when it comes to German made patches. There is no “one way” for a German made patch to look. 

FT.Monmouth1943

Figured I’d post this here for reference too. It appears to be a German made 24th ID patch with a very similar gauze-like back as the first patch in this thread.

- Jakob

Proud Kraut

I´m learning something new every day but in more than 30 years of collecting I haven´t seen a patch like Old Marine´s one that was made postwar in Germany. Since the term BeVo was mentioned before, these were all woven patches. This one seems to be embroidered.

FT.Monmouth1943

That’s interesting, always good to learn something new as this patch would have had me fooled. I know bevo isn’t the right term, but I was referring to the diagonal embroidery style seen on many German made patches that often give off a computer guided look. 

- Jakob